1980 GS750 L Carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750 L Carb help

So I bought my first bike a few days ago, which was a 1980 gs750 L. I rode it home but I knew it had carb issues because driving at a steady speed down the highway it would randomly speed up/slow down. A few days went by and I took a short 10 min drive to make sure it still happened. when I got back I took the carbs off to clean them and make sure they was no major internal damage. Also before I put them back on I adjusted the screws on the throttle body to sync the movement a little better. After this the bike wouldn't run. I pulled the plugs and they were completely dry except one so I tried spraying some carb cleaner in there to give the motor a little boost at first and it finally ran but only at full throttle. At full throttle though it only was at idle speed and only seemed to be running on one cylinder that was getting fuel. Any advice????

advice, yes, tear them down and doa proper cleaning and go here and read.... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

".....took the carbs off to clean them and make sure they was no major internal damage. "

carbs must be properly cleaned or you (like the previous owner) will never get them to run right. Probably lots of overdue maintenance to catch up on Go here and digest

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Like the previous responders, I will say "a full strip and dip rebuild is necessary".

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, there are a few of us (including me) that provide that service for a modest fee.

You "adjusted the screws to sync them a little better"? What gauge set did you use? You can NOT do a proper sync without a gauge.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X