Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Pushrod Seal Installation

Hello everyone,

Last September, I was riding my 1981 GS550L, my chain busted and the pushrod got bent, and the seal got torn, causing a lot of bleeding from the bike. I replaced the pushrod( one piece) with a new one(two piece, they dont make one piece anymore), but I cant figure out how to replace the seal without cutting or tearing it. Its getting to the point of frustration and all I want to do is stop this bleeding haha Does anyone know of any tricks to do to install this seal without damaging it? All the ones on youtube just says to use a socket but it doesn't work everytime for them. Someone please tell me how to perform this without tearing or cutting the gasket.

Thanks, Bill

Got the old one out yet?? If not, make a small hole in the metal rim ( without hitting the engine case ) and screw in a sheet metal screw. Grip with vice grips and a few stiff yanks should have it out.

To install new one.. Get a length of PVC that will fit the metal ring area. Line up the seal and just tap the edges gently with a hammer to get it started a tad. The PVC gives you the comfort of making the install tool a little longer so you can clear the frame etc etc.

Anyway..cut the PVC to the length as you see fit and use it to drive the seal into the engine case.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i saw on youtube, people tke the edge off of the engine where the seal goes into. Im not saying the whole inside, but just the very outside edge where the gasket touches when it first enters the engine. I didnt think that would matter much but apparently it has a sharp edge. Any comments about that? and also, should i use a droplet of oil or something to lube the gasket to make it slide in a tad bit easier?

Comment

Chuck, I will definitely try that route

Comment

Working...
        X