New project in my driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project in my driveway

New to the forum and new to street bikes I just bought the worst shape bike that has ever graced my garage It is a 1980 gs 750 and i love it. Speedo claims 28k but who knows how long it has been disconnected. Ive worked on plenty of dirt bikes but this is quite a different beast. Cant wait to throw some money and wrenching time at this old pig. What it needs: throttle cable turn signal work seat cover and maybe seat pan. Fuel tank cleaning and seal. Carbs gone through and adjusted and synced. New petcock Speedo cable. Valves checked. Left side cover(magneto i think) sealed. New tires. Everything needs cleaned and lubed. Paint. Oil change. Service manual. Spark plugs Airbox sorted. Various nuts and bolts. Rear brake needs bled. A latch to hold the seat in place. But it does run and not too bad. A little bog around 1/4-1/2 throttle but revs nicer past mid throttle. I appreciate any help thoughts and suggestions. Thanks. Joe. Ill try to post a pic so everyone can have a giggle. Sorry about the upside down photo. I do try to keep the rubber side down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2015, 11:40 PM.

Time, money and effort at a GS project?
    You ought to fit in fine. Welcome aboard.
    Carb cleaning details can be found in here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

so upon further inspection I don't really know what I have.
      what I do know: 750 cc motor with a bank of keihin carbs. frame says built in 1/80. plastics, tank, lights appear to be from a later year bike than 1980. rectangular end caps on the valve cover lead me to believe it is a 16 valve motor. any help would be great. Thanks, Joe
      Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for introducing yourself. aand for posting pic.

THe carbs and the slotted disc tell us that it is an 80 or later, not prior.
        I don't know the 750E s that well to tell you any more.

Left end of crank is a portion of the charging system, but nit a magneto, but a stator. Somewhere else (side/bottom of battery box) will be the regulator/rectifier.

More eurpoean paint scheme, but here is stock 80 750E:
        750 E 1980
        Overall Length: 2 250 mm (88.6 in)
        Overall Width: 875 mm (34.4 in)
        Overall Height: 1 189 mm (46.8 in)
        Wheelbase: 1 520 mm (59.8 in)
        Ground Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in)
        Dry Weight: 229 kg (504 lbs)
        Engine type: Air-cooled 747 cc inline-4, DOHC, 16 valves. 79 hp (59 kW)/ 9,200 rpm, 63 Nm/ 8,400 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
        Here's
        more Suzuki GSX750 info.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You don't have Kehin carbs, unless somebody has changed them. Stock carbs are Mikuni.

Try using an American camera, instead of an Aussie one, or maybe just use a CAMERA instead of a phone?

Yes, that appears to be a 750E, based on the production date, it would, indeed, be an '80.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

right side up....

Attached Files

Comment

So my keihin carbs are not stock which is what i suspected from my research. Since this is the case i should check valves before messing with anything else. How did you flip that picture. I tried to edit it but couldnt figure it out.

Comment

Opened up your picture with Windows photo viewer, used the arrows to turn the pic a couple of times, saved it, and reposted it....

if your using an iPhone, the solution is this

How To Solve This Problem

You can prevent any rotation issues in the future by taking your iPhone photos and videos with the volume buttons pointing down. However, it’s not as convenient as holding your iPhone with the volume buttons pointing up, especially if you use those buttons to take photos.

The fix is in(verted)
                Actually, the remedy is fairly straightforward: keep the iPhone "right-side up" when snapping photos or recording videos--meaning with the volume buttons pointed down. (I think that's how most users rolled before iOS 5 came along). You can still use the volume-up button as a shutter release, you'll just have to trigger it with your left thumb. (It's awkward, but doable.)
                http://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-does-...e-down-photos/
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X