Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do With Old Gas

Hey all,

I have 4-5 month old gas that sat in my bike's tank. Not too bad, only 4-5 months...

The tank looked pretty good inside to me...But apparently not good enough. I opened the cap and took a peak inside a few days ago, and there's metallic flakes floating around. They're pretty small, but visible. I was going to dump this old gas into my car tank (mixed with new gas) and burn it, but now with the rust flakes, I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. They're pretty small, so I'm still debating doing it. Or should I just burn it though the GS engine? The engine was sorta running before winter, but hasn't since, so it might be a bit rough.

Just looking for some more knowledgeable advice on the topic. Thanks!

use a coffee filter and filter it, then use it in your car, bike, lawnmower etc....

Comment

+1! I use my old filtered gas for my lawnmower.

Comment

Hm, good idea. I'm hoping that if/when the bike is in full repair, I can just use up the gas fast enough and it wont get all flakey again. Or should I look into coating the tank? I've heard mixed advice on those tank coats. It's really not that rusty, maybe in a few tiny spots and not bad at all.

Comment

Well old skunky gas ,maybe mix 50- 50 with fresh fuel if its not too crappy looking, Filtering it is always good, (even my race gas VP 114 has so much crap in it amazes me for what I pay for it!! Also dont use paint type filters the glue dissolves with the gas and ends up in youre carbs! Not Good !!!! Cheap dollar store coffee filters) ) ! and add stabilizer then run in family car or Lawnmower, Ive seen some mighty gnarly looking gasoline come out of some bikes Ive Bought!! Also local dump has oil recycle tank good place to dump it, dont pour down the sewer!! Mike

Comment

Put it in the truck. Fill the truck and it will be so dilluted it wont be an issue. Thats what I do with mine anyway.

I like the mower idea too..they will digest almost anything....LOL
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I use it to kill weeds that grow up through the seams in the driveway
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Sounds like its tank liner time if theres metal flaking off the inside.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Almost always becomes Yaris food. Just like the Mr.Fusion the Yaris seems to be able to take trashed gas and turn it into usable energy.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 04-25-2015, 10:25 AM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Put it in the Camary.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                    X