high idle 2500rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high idle 2500rpm

I recently bought an 83 gs1100 gld to get road worthy. I did a good job cleaning the carbs and bench syncronizing. I installed new oem jets, air filter, o rings, intake boot o rings... I sealed the airbox, disconnected and sealed the petcock vacuum (run on pri), née spark plugs. Fuel hight is syncronized and to the top of the bowl... ...idle starts and stays at 2,500... starts good and quick with no enricher.... turn enricher and idle drops corresponding to half off then kills... could it be my throttle assembly nylon bushings? Cable is proper with slack and idle screw is backed off past use

Pilot screw is 3 turns out.

Comment

Since idle stop screw isn't doing anything, (you've backed it off) and you got slack in throttle cable, something seems wrong with enricher circuits assuming your bench sync left all 4 throttle plates just about fully closed.
      the enricher circuit supplies fuel and extra air and this can cause high idle, if one or more doesn't shut off.
      The stuff about "starts good and quick with no enricher" makes me wonder
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have several questions, so I will just copy and paste the original statement, then add my comment or question.

I recently bought an 83 gs1100 gld to get road worthy. Nice enough bike, good choice.
        I did a good job cleaning the carbs and bench syncronizing. Did you do the full "strip and dip" procedure outlined on this site?
        I installed new oem jets, air filter, o rings, intake boot o rings... Why did you feel you needed to install new jets?
        I sealed the airbox, disconnected and sealed the petcock vacuum (run on pri), What is wrong with the vacuum part of the petcock?
        née spark plugs. Huh?
        Fuel hight is syncronized and to the top of the bowl... Specs call for 5mm below the top of the bowl
        idle starts and stays at 2,500... 2500 is not exactly "idle", there is something holding it there
        starts good and quick with no enricher.... Almost scary, most engines require at least some.
        turn enricher and idle drops corresponding to half off then kills... "corresponding to half off"??? I don't know what to make of this
        could it be my throttle assembly nylon bushings? No.
        Cable is proper with slack and idle screw is backed off past use What is "past use"?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks!; ....just as good; couldn't read the numbers possible wear, good price for all at once $75 extra jets ; diaphragm was leaking into the vacuum; spark plug failure under pressure, new plugs warmed all cylinders up.; perfect!; off to the races when it should be at a slow gallop.... 1/2 enricher brings it to 900-1050... spraying starting fluid takes the rpm down a hair when sprayed on carb throttle mechanisms.... ..just like magic?? ; awkward silence panning through words I may apply to satisfy common mechanic aptitude.... ; ) over ez, naaaa scrambled eggs

Comment

First ,I'd double check my bench sync. When you reduce the enricher to "half" you are reducing air and fuel in this "bypass" circuit, so if it was leaking at "full" ,it's bound to be less at half if this is the problem. See pic, needle thing adds fuel while piston opens/restricts a air port.
            Attached Files
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I took the tops off and inspected the enricher, looks fine... spring,washer, and o ring on all also.

Comment

I forgot to say.... when I plug the idle flow from the top port that leads to the diaphragm on #4, the idle drops to 1100. If I plug the same ports on the carburetors the idle stays above 2000. .. sooo... I identified the carburetor, but what is the cause? Plugged port? It ran when I got it, but had been sitting for years and had mice where the air filter should have been.... most symptoms from plugged port, air leak, .... ....I checked the enricher and blew through the ports (passages) with ether. ... the only one I can't access to blow through is the port that is rite next to the air port that feeds the enricher, the port I address has a brass ball covering the through and through inside the top that the diaphragm sits on...

Comment

OK, hold on just a minute or three. When you "plug the idle flow from the top port that leads to the diaphragm on #4, ..." what the heck are you plugging?

Then you "plug the same ports on the carburetors ..." I thought #4 WAS a carburetor, so what are you doing again?

Anyway, you should not be able to reach any "ports" on the carbs when the bike is running, because you will have filters or an airbox attached.

Back to post #1, please describe IN DETAIL "I did a good job cleaning the carbs". I tried to ask you that in post #4, but your answer in post #5 could not be deciphered here.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look at this pic, you mean that you plugged the odd-shaped port on #4 carb that lets air flow below diaphragm- the big blue flow on right side of pic?
                    Attached Files
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

yup, I haven't found the leak? (Problem) yet.

Comment

Pull carb cap off and inspect diaphragm and its mounting seal.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

No final post about success?
                          Bummer, I got a similar problem.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Me too..............

Comment

Working...
                            X