Quick question about fork swap from 81 GS750L to 82 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about fork swap from 81 GS750L to 82 GS750E

I bought some forks with the axle under configuration in order to complete my salty_monk brake mod.
    I have two questions:

1. are the axles the same? My new forks didn't come with an axle so I was planning on using the "L" one.
    2. I was told it's best to not use the air set up and go with some sonic springs & an emulator, after removing the upper cap with the air connections, will my "L" caps fit? If they don't what should I look for?

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by disstance View Post
    I bought some forks with the axle under configuration in order to complete my salty_monk brake mod.
    I have two questions:

1. are the axles the same? My new forks didn't come with an axle so I was planning on using the "L" one.
    2. I was told it's best to not use the air set up and go with some sonic springs & an emulator, after removing the upper cap with the air connections, will my "L" caps fit? If they don't what should I look for?
    Thanks guys!
    I doubt the L axle will fit since it came off a leading axle fork (a bit wider and different shape at one end?) Plenty of 82 style axles out there. Pretty sure a GSR member has one he can sell ya. Both forks are 35mm as for the caps, that would depend on the thread pattern, they aren't all the same.

As for the air set up, junk it. Sonic springs and cartridge emulator and a good fork oil 15w or a 20w would work, depends on your stiffness preference. Sonic spring will mention something about what weight fork oil to use. Make sure the internal slider bushing are good, wore out ones will make your forks sloppy.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm fairly certain the top caps will swap as both forks are 35mm so far as I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        As for the air set up, junk it. Sonic springs and cartridge emulator and a good fork oil 15w or a 20w would work, depends on your stiffness preference. Sonic spring will mention something about what weight fork oil to use. Make sure the internal slider bushing are good, wore out ones will make your forks sloppy.
        That's the plan!! Pretty sure I've got the right springs down & I've got an order in on the Mikes XS emulators. Matter of fact, for the whole brake upgrade, I'm pretty much just missing the brackets (next paycheck) & some new SS lines.

Comment

Working...
        X