Wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring.

I own a gs850g 1982, Does anyone have any advice or guides for wiring, I have to re-do mine entirely due to some previous happenings. It is definitively a head-ache but i'm up for the job and really want to ride so i am quite motivated to get it done.

The wiring harness is currently pulled from the bike and had been cut a few times. I have gotten it to the point where i could turn the key and the power would come on, lights, blinkers, horn etc. Everything but the starter, would not even make a noise, any tips on what this could be?

I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

solenoid ground wire attached?

Comment

Should be a pretty easy job to trace down where you're loosing continuity from ignition source to starter solenoid. Do as Posplayr suggested and first verify you have a ground from the starter solenoid to battery -. After that you can check the +12V path. Power in the stock configuration passes from ignition switch to the fuse block. From there an O/W wire goes to the kill switch. From the kill switch to the start switch. From there you'll see a Yellow/Green wire that goes to the starter solenoid. Check each point along the way and verify you have power. Since you have all the lights working, my guess is you can start at the fuse that supplies the Orange/White wire and start there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It could be possible that it has nothing to do with the starter wiring, but the clutch switch up on the clutch handle. My '82 GS1100GK was having starting issues. I had to shake the bike to get it started. I thought that I had a short somewhere in the harness (I did have a harness burn up issue so I wasn't surprised). Was getting the bike inspected and I saw the mechanic pull up on the handle and the bike started right up. Bike passed, but out in the parking lot, I was having starting issues again. I pulled up on the handle and the starter engaged. I pulled off the switch cable and sure enough, enough dirt and grease had accumulated that was causing the copper to stick up in the handle. Be careful when pulling it apart, there are tiny, tiny pieces in this assembly that are easy to loose.

Comment

Working...
        X