hello from The Berkshires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello from The Berkshires!

Hi guys, I just bought my very first motorcycle after much waiting, a 1980 GS550. I look forward to hanging on the boards and learning as much as I can about these great machines!

Best wishes and Safe riding!
    Dominick

Welcome Dominick,

Nice bike in your avatar. How's the riding in your neck of the woods?

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome Dominick.

He has some fantastic twisties in his neck of the woods. I haven't made it out that way yet this year though.
      Last edited by tas850g; 05-09-2015, 06:33 PM.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

The riding out here is astounding. The views, mountain passes, deep wooded valleys...I invite all to enjoy the wonders of the area I call home!

I picked her up today and basically took my very first ride! Luckily I am not a cocky young man, but confident and conservative...so I got used to the bike after a little while and took her for a long ride.

First things I noticed was it was not a rocket fast machine or slow either. Nice and comfy!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Hi Dominick, welcome to the site. That 550 is a great beginner bike. Got any bigger pics? We like big pics.

One ride is not nearly enough to get to know the bike. I've been riding my GS850GL for two years (my first bike) commuting to work on it almost every day in three seasons and I still feel like it has some secrets to tell me.

If you haven't yet, I strongly recommend seeking out your nearest MSF BasicRider course and taking it before you put in any more saddle time. This time of year, it's hard to get a seat so in the mean time can get that bike caught up on all of its maintenance.

Unless the previous owner is someone you know very well and trust to be an excellent mechanic, don't believe them when they say things like the carbs were just cleaned, the valves were checked a year ago, the forks are good to go, etc, even if he or she sounds like a very nice and trustworthy person. Assume the bike has been running on hopes and dreams alone these last 35 years and do all the maintenance yourself. Partly so that you know for sure it's all good (or catch a minor problem before it becomes a big problem) and partly to familiarize yourself with its mechanical workings. Very useful should something break when you're hours away from home.

Lucky for you, all the info you need can be found by clicking on the BassCliff's mega-welcome link in my signature below. Follow it down the rabbit hole for your own personal electronic copy of the Suzuki service manual for your bike along with tutorials and lots of other information.
          Last edited by eil; 05-08-2015, 10:17 PM.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Eil,

Thanks for writing and the concern. I don't suppose I did much of an introduction to myself. I was previously an automotive technician/equipment tech, have been educated and enjoy getting my hands dirty. I love me a project.

That being said, from the time I was 5 I have been involved with machines, dirt bikes, atvs, muscle cars (I have a neat one ;-) ), as well as building some performance purposed engines. This is my first road going bike :-)

Safety course is on the way, and the bike is parked for the moment for a thorough inspection, electrical tests, valve adjustment, carb cleaning Mish mosh over the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of manuals for it, a Suzuki dealer very near to me with vast knowledge of the bike as well as parts.

I really appreciate your concern with my safety and understanding, and I mean that sincerely. For the past 4 years consistently I have worked in the tree industry, where safety is paramount. I really understand and appreciate what you wrote.

Dom

Comment

As soon as I figure out how to get some pics up I'll post some of the bike, and my 1967 Mercury Cougar barn find.
              Attached Files

Comment

20150503_112714.jpg a blurry photo of the odometer

Comment

IMG_65185028102540.jpg mercury cougar

Comment

Okay, great, sounds like you're on the right path. Nice looking 550, by the way. You're going to love working on these 8-valve engines. Easy to maintain and incredibly reliable.

In the spring, we often get new people popping in here who buy an old bike on an impulse and are too impatient with little things like learning how to ride it or maintain it. One big red flag alerting us to this kind of person is, "I just bought my first motorcycle yesterday and have been riding it around" so you can see the reason for my concern. (The second one is not knowing that the clutch has to be pulled in to start it.)

Welcome again and apologies in advance for the upcoming GS addiction you are about to experience.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Thanks brudda! I love everything about the machine. It's era, styling, simplicity.

Now all I gotta do us pick a set of tires out Shinko's (sp?) Are on it now, previous owner enjoyed and praised them.

Comment

Shinkos are decent tires. Cheap and plenty sticky but only last about 4-5k miles in the rear. About double for the front. Perfect for in-town commuting and weekend jaunts, not so much for road tripping.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Eli, have you advice on some long distance use tires? I am more than willing to listen :-) I plan on two kinda longish (but not really) trips currently. From my Hometown of West Stockbridge, to a close friends house in Waitsfield Vermont (about 3hrs one way via car. The other us to the Adirondack National's (a massive car show in Lake George).

I really plan to use my bike quite a lot. Today she got her engine degreased, a little bath, and an over all look over. Unfortunately the factory head pipes in several places are either rotten, damaged, or both...

So it is going this coming Saturday to a friends shop, where it will have new tires installed and balanced. Considering a set of brakes while im in there.

Dom

Comment

As well as a possible custom exhaust.

Comment

I haven't ridden anything but Shinkos myself but I have a page on the GS Wiki about tires that I compiled from advice and reviews here on the forum: https://www.gswiki.info/wiki/Tires

If you want to keep any of that info, I would recommend copying and pasting it off since I'm planning to shut down the wiki in a few weeks due to lack of community interest and my own time to grow/maintain it.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X