Speedo drive unit grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo drive unit grease?

I want to repack the grease in the speedo drive unit at the axle, but I don't see the type of grease specified. I have Moly 60( I doubt it), lithium, and CV joint grease( nay). Any of those work? Any other words of advice?

Thanks.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Most any kind of ordinary bearing grease should work. I used this stuff, which I got from Z1 but is probably available everywhere:

Attached Files
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I just use regular bearing grease on mine Charlie, seems to work fine. Great little project to do that's for sure.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Are there any tricks to rebuilding the drive? I am reassembling mine and having a difficult time getting the gear teeth to mesh.

Comment

I quite like Finish Line bicycle grease; it's available in many bicycle shops and has just the right sort of consistency for this sort of job. It's synthetic base, with what looks like lithium and some teflon, and comes in a handy size plastic squeeze tube. I've used it for years and it seems to stay put but also not harden up and die. If you think bicycles don't experience the high loads of motorcycles, you're wrong. They're built as light and close to the edge of mechanical disaster as possible. Imagine a steroidal goon weighing eight times the machine hammering it up and down mountains. Everything breaks or wears out, and if it doesn't, they try to make it lighter.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
          X