Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idle/pilot guidance please(hanging idle, black out tailpipes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is exactly what i am going through right now. what is the pilot jet your talking about ?. i thought all pilot jets sucked fuel up the threaded end and exited out the tip and the sides ? I know there is a micro hole at the tip. Should these jets on these carbs not be there ? This read has given me more to look at. i too have bought new boots, re set the valves and a complete rebuild kits on the carbs. 3 of the 4 carbs also make the plugs Black with soot so i am assuming that 3 have still clogged pilot jet passages..
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The pilot jets ate the small jets you access with the fuel bowl off. The are under the rubber plug. You say you rebuilt the carbs did you do them?

Comment

Yes, i did it twice.. now three times. i dipped them in carb cleaner apart for 24 hr then used a lot of carb cleaner in all the ports. new gaskets, o-rings, mains and pilot jets. I took the carbs back off about an hour ago and looked at things i read on this thread.. I took them apart and found one, that the hole at the bottom of the air screw was plugged. by spraying carb cleaner with the straw tube down in the screw base. 3 were clean, one didn't flow any cleaner. on the other two using compressed air, i blew in to the air jets on the back of the carbs. two were plugged, two were flowing air through. i let them soak in cleaner for a few then tried to plug all the holes that connect with that air port with my fingers. i used the air back up the pilot hole and blew a chunk of something out of both those carbs. they flow free now. im hoping to put them together in the morning and see if it will idle without having to turn up the idle screw to 2000 rpms.. So what i thought was clean twice was not after reading the thread..
        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2015, 12:31 AM.

Comment

You say you have done it three times. Wrong.

You still haven't cleaned them correctly. If you follow the tutorial and do it correctly, using the chemicals and tools called out, it takes only once.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
            You say you have done it three times. Wrong.

You still haven't cleaned them correctly. If you follow the tutorial and do it correctly, using the chemicals and tools called out, it takes only once.
            First of all.. sorry for the Thread jack zero260.. this thread has helped me find my problems.. so if i can do it, so can others. just hang in there when you see no end in sight..

No twice wrong. I never thought to clean out the passageways because i thought soaking them for 24 hours would be enough. i did blow air through the passages after cleaning them but never knew how the passageways worked. with that new info i was able to find 3 restricked areas. after cleaning them again it runs great even without syncing them yet.. I was about to through in the towel on these carbs. i knew they were the problem from the start. now i can finish the project.. my friend Marco said it will never run with these carbs.. the bike has a wisco 635 bigbore kit and Mega cycle street/race cams among other new goodies..

here is a Video of starting it... https://youtu.be/7G2ZnbbvI4Y
            Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Congratulations on finally getting it running better. Sync those carbs and take it out for a test ride.

Comment

I know this thread is aa little old now. But my problem ended up being the po used vm carb pilot jets instead of cv pilot jets. Bike no longer has sooty plugs.

Comment

I got mine running great by going back to stock pilots. Everything is better. Mileage, response and no more sooting. You don't need to always crank up the fuel flow even with a pipe
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X