Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idle/pilot guidance please(hanging idle, black out tailpipes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double checked my fuel level and I had 3 carbs under 5mm so I raised to the float to lower the fuel level and it seems to idle better and responds better to pilot adjusting. but after a 10 min test run I am loosing power in my midrange(1/2 to 3/4) throttle. I haven't messed with the needles yet. Does this mean I need to raise them slightly like recommended in the carb rebuild tutorials?

Comment

The Bleed and Non-Bleed jets are supposed to be interchangeable. Factory ones are with holes on the sides, that is the Bleed type
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Sounds like fuel is not getting through the pilots to the idle circuit. Wearing safety glasses spray carb cleaner through where the pilots install and see if it exits in the bore from the tiny holes beneath the idle mixture screw. I rebuilt a set of keihin carbs twice but still had blocked pilots. I put copper wire through and cleared the passage
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          Sounds like fuel is not getting through the pilots to the idle circuit. Wearing safety glasses spray carb cleaner through where the pilots install and see if it exits in the bore from the tiny holes beneath the idle mixture screw. I rebuilt a set of keihin carbs twice but still had blocked pilots. I put copper wire through and cleared the passage
          That's what I thought but when i was checking the choke I sprayed through all the passages and it does come out by the pilot screws

Comment

It can be deceiving ,note pic
            Attached Files
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              It can be deceiving ,note pic
              Nice picture, but that's not a carb from a GS.

Last edited by Steve; 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well,I said it could be deceiving - it's simple view of constant velocity type carb. I was attempting to emphasize the complexity of idle circuit passages.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I sprayed carb spray through the air jet on all carbs and it did come out by the pilot, I also took the pilot screws out and sprayed back through and it came out the air jet. So I don't think to pilot is plugged, unless there is something I'm missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero260 View Post
                    I sprayed carb spray through the air jet on all carbs and it did come out by the pilot, I also took the pilot screws out and sprayed back through and it came out the air jet. So I don't think to pilot is plugged, unless there is something I'm missing.
                    Did you see anything come out the FUEL port?

The air passages seldom get clogged by dried-out fuel deposits.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is one of those situations when I wish I lived nearby and could just go over and fix it.

Trust us, it's a problem in that area and once you find it you'll say ah ha.

See the black arrows? makse sure it's clear from the main jet well to the pilot well. fuel goes in there, mixes with air and the foamy mess ends up where the white arrows are to the mixture screw. That's why it's called a mixture screw.

there is a micro hole in the pilot jet, it needs to be clean and not damaged. The hole is in the thread end. If it's on the tip you have the wrong style ( ask me how I know that )
                      Last edited by duaneage; 05-13-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Which fuel port should it come out. I had it come out the needle jet.

Comment

check the picture. visualize the fuel entering the main jet and making it's way over to the pilot.

Comment

For one thing, even if the pilot screws are open too far it won't cause a black and smokey exhaust. If that's happening something else is wrong. I'd open up the pilot screws to 3 turns and perform a vacuum sync. Also check fuel level not just float level if you haven't already done so.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So far since starting thread. I made sure pilot air passages were unplugged(after reading your comments iI will probably need to check the fuel passages). Checked fuel level and had to raise my floats to lower my fuel level between .5mm to 1.5mm across the carbs, apparently I didn't do this to will before. That helped the idle a bit, it would respond to pilot tuning better. But I than ran into a lack of fuel at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. So tonight I raised my needles about 1mm and went for a test ride. She runs great but still hangs for about a second at 2k when coming to a stop. I will try to mess with the pilots more and get it tuned in. Thanks for the help and support

Comment

This seems likean interestingthread,hopefully getlearninggainedenlightenment

Comment

Working...
                                X