Exceptionally poor MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exceptionally poor MPG

So I've rebuilt the carbs on my 78 GS750 and paid someone to sync them, as well as rebuilt the airbox, changed the plugs and a set of points, changed the oil, etc. etc. but the bike is getting TERRIBLE fuel economy. Of course I didn't buy a vintage bike for the sole purpose of economy, but I did have an expectation of 40+ MPG after reading these forums extensively. I've run (3) tanks of gas through it and I'm averaging somewhere in the mid-20's on MPG. This seems really low, especially considering the bike doesn't run that bad... Any ideas on what to check first? As I alluded to, the bike doesn't run as well as I think it should so I'm going to take a look at the jetting; but before I went down that rabbit-hole, I thought I'd at least poll the experts here. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at your spark plugs, what do they say.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Rusted up drive chain, or bad wheel bearings?

Comment

Your expectation is correct

New condensors? Properly timed? Advancing as it should?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Take a look at your spark plugs, what do they say.
          I will attempt a 'plug chop' and post pictures here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Your expectation is correct

New condensors? Properly timed? Advancing as it should?
            I wish I could answer any of those questions with confidence... This is the first motorcycle I've ever owned and I don't think it's run properly since I've owned it.

I rebuilt the carbs and replaced one set of points (because I didn't have spark on the #1,4 cylinder). Although, when I replaced the points I did nothing more than do my best to gap them properly, I did not check/adjust timing.

I paid a guy to sync the carbs and adjust the valves. He says he checked the valves and they didn't need adjusted (I'm looking for a second opinion on this because I find it hard to believe that the valves didn't need adjusted and I know for a fact that they haven't been adjusted for 10+ years--per the P.O.).

The bike starts easy enough but is very 'cold-natured' and I usually ride for 10+ miles before I can fully open the choke. Also, the bike cackles and pops (backfires) when I decelerate. I have noticed that the #4 header does not get hot at idle, but it does get hot when riding. Could this be a clogged pilot jet?

The bike came to me with a 4-1 exhaust but that's the only mod from stock that I'm aware of. I do not know the jet size because I didn't know to check that when I had the carbs apart and I'm dreading removing them again--it's riding season, man! There's literally ONE shop in my area that will work on an 'old' bike like mine and they're always booked solid.

I'm willing to do work myself and am fairly mechanically inclined--I've always owned old cars and done all necessary work on those. I'm just a bit out of my depth when it comes to the Japanese engineering. Any advice on what to check is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbrown View Post
              The bike starts easy enough but is very 'cold-natured' and I usually ride for 10+ miles before I can fully open the choke. Also, the bike cackles and pops (backfires) when I decelerate. I have noticed that the #4 header does not get hot at idle, but it does get hot when riding. Could this be a clogged pilot jet?
              If it starts that easily, the valves are likely not the problem. However, riding for 10+ miles on "choke" is killing your engine and your gas mileage. With properly-tuned carbs, you chould be able to use partial "choke" to start the bike. Modulate the control just a bit to keep revs under about 2500, get your helmet and gloves on, then RIDE. By the time you get into third gear, you should be able to turn the "choke" OFF. Sounds like it's time to do some tweaking of the mixture screws to get them "right".

Your popping and backfiring can be a lean mixture from the carb or an air leak in the exhaust system.

Your cold #4 pipe could easily be due to a plugged pilot system or simply a mis-adjusted fuel screw.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Leaks are my first suspect when fuel is disappearing. Sounds like you have other issues as well. Bear in mind that some of these bikes leak gas past the tap and it can end up in the sump.

Whats happening to your oil level and is there a smell of petrol from the oil filler?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If it starts that easily, the valves are likely not the problem. However, riding for 10+ miles on "choke" is killing your engine and your gas mileage. With properly-tuned carbs, you chould be able to use partial "choke" to start the bike. Modulate the control just a bit to keep revs under about 2500, get your helmet and gloves on, then RIDE. By the time you get into third gear, you should be able to turn the "choke" OFF. Sounds like it's time to do some tweaking of the mixture screws to get them "right".
                  OK, that's good to know. I have to start the bike on FULL choke, and after a few seconds the idle starts to DROP so I open the choke to half and the idle goes back up a bit. I've never let the bike sit and run for more than a few minutes for fear of overheating but if I try to fully open the choke after a minute or two, the bike dies.

Your popping and backfiring can be a lean mixture from the carb or an air leak in the exhaust system.
                  That's what I was afraid of... I've heard horror stories of burning valves (or worse) from running too lean. I did have an exhaust leak (by ear) before I did the oil change and fixed the broken/missing exhaust bolts. Is there a more scientific way to check for an exhaust leak then 'by ear'?

Your cold #4 pipe could easily be due to a plugged pilot system or simply a mis-adjusted fuel screw.
                  I suppose I better pull the carbs and give em a look... Thanks.

Comment

Probably an exhaust leak at the header. Did you replace the exhaust gaskets when you fixed the broken/missing exhaust bolts? If you, then that would be a good place to start. Drop the exhaust, pull the old gaskets out and replace with new gaskets. Some add two gaskets but I've always found one to be sufficient as long as the mating surfaces are in reasonable shape.

As for the idling and gas mileage issues, I'd say it definitely time for a carb rebuild. Leaking floats can cause pretty bad gas mileage issues as well. You wont see the problem with the floats when the engine is off if your petcock is working correctly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      Probably an exhaust leak at the header. Did you replace the exhaust gaskets when you fixed the broken/missing exhaust bolts? If you, then that would be a good place to start. Drop the exhaust, pull the old gaskets out and replace with new gaskets. Some add two gaskets but I've always found one to be sufficient as long as the mating surfaces are in reasonable shape.

As for the idling and gas mileage issues, I'd say it definitely time for a carb rebuild. Leaking floats can cause pretty bad gas mileage issues as well. You wont see the problem with the floats when the engine is off if your petcock is working correctly.
                      Yes I replaced the exhaust gaskets and I JUST rebuilt the carbs. Besides listening to the header, is there a more definitive test I can perform to determine/rule out an exhaust leak?

No smell of fuel in the garage and no wet areas on the bike or floor. I believe the issue is tuning...

Comment

You wont see or smell any gas in the garage if it's a leaking float and a working vacuum petcock. It only dumps more gas into the engine and only when it's running. An excessive fuel problem on a specific cylinder will not usually be jet related as long as the carbs are clean and you have no major mechanical/electrical issues with that cylinder. That's assuming that all the jets are the same in all the carbs. What I'm say is that, if all four carbs are jetted the same, then you should not have a single cylinder going pig rich if the carbs, cylinders and ignition are working correctly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          You wont see or smell any gas in the garage if it's a leaking float and a working vacuum petcock. It only dumps more gas into the engine and only when it's running. An excessive fuel problem on a specific cylinder will not usually be jet related as long as the carbs are clean and you have no major mechanical/electrical issues with that cylinder. That's assuming that all the jets are the same in all the carbs. What I'm say is that, if all four carbs are jetted the same, then you should not have a single cylinder going pig rich if the carbs, cylinders and ignition are working correctly.
                          Very good to know, thank you. How do I determine a leaking float? What, exactly am I to look for? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbrown View Post
                            OK, that's good to know. I have to start the bike on FULL choke, and after a few seconds the idle starts to DROP so I open the choke to half and the idle goes back up a bit. I've never let the bike sit and run for more than a few minutes for fear of overheating but if I try to fully open the choke after a minute or two, the bike dies.
                            Just to reiterate a point, the "choke" is not a choke but rather a fuel enrichener, so you are adding more fuel at FULL choke, and less as you dial it down.

When you say you try to "open" the choke, do you actually mean lever all the way right (or knob pushed all the way in)?

Assuming you have it FULL choke to start, and are applying no throttle then it sounds like that aspect of the bike is running properly. The RPMs will drop when it warms up a bit, as the bike is seeing too MUCH fuel at FULL choke. Dialing it down gets the A/F ratio back to normal, and the RPMs will rise a bit.

Really though, in the summer, you shouldn't have to ride for much more than a block or two at half-choke before turning it completely closed (no enrichening of gas).

So, to clarify, can you explain what your understanding of "OPEN" and "CLOSED" is?
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              Just to reiterate a point, the "choke" is not a choke but rather a fuel enrichener, so you are adding more fuel at FULL choke, and less as you dial it down.

When you say you try to "open" the choke, do you actually mean lever all the way right (or knob pushed all the way in)?

Assuming you have it FULL choke to start, and are applying no throttle then it sounds like that aspect of the bike is running properly. The RPMs will drop when it warms up a bit, as the bike is seeing too MUCH fuel at FULL choke. Dialing it down gets the A/F ratio back to normal, and the RPMs will rise a bit.

Really though, in the summer, you shouldn't have to ride for much more than a block or two at half-choke before turning it completely closed (no enrichening of gas).

So, to clarify, can you explain what your understanding of "OPEN" and "CLOSED" is?
                              My understanding is the same as the way you explained it, except I was thinking of choke 'closed' = less air and therefore more fuel, and choke 'open' = more air and therefore less fuel. My choke happens to be an up/down lever as opposed to a push knob as you implied, FWIW. So I believe we're on the same page.

Unfortunately, though, my experience has been that the bike takes far more than "a block or two" before it will run with no choke. Also, I've noted that if I try to turn the idle down below 2K, the bike is hesitant to stay running. If the bike is really warm (after a 25 mile commute on the freeway) I can turn the idle adjustment knob down and the bike will idle (roughly) at ~ 1100 RPM. For you experts out there, what's this indicative of?

Comment

Working...
                              X