Exceptionally poor MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's indicative of dirty carb passages.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I agree, "dirty carbs".

You should not have to touch, let alone adjust, your idle speed knob on a day-to-day basis, let alone during a ride. When carbs are cleaned and set up properly, you might need somewhere between half- and full-"choke" to get it going first thing, Modulate your "choke" control to keep revs under about 2500 for the time it takes to get your gear on, then ride. By the time you are in third gear, turn the "choke" OFF.

What you are describing as your "normal" routine are classic symptoms of dirty, or at least mis-adjusted, carbs. Try an adjustment first, if that doesn't fix it, it's time to do a full "strip-and-dip" rebuild. If you don't feel comfortable doing the rebuild yourself, there are a few of us here that will do them for you, for a modest fee, of course.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I read these threads to try and learn.

I guess this is just a generic problem, but I'm still surprised that no one has asked for the model/year.

I guess we're not that far into the details yet.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          I read these threads to try and learn.

I guess this is just a generic problem, but I'm still surprised that no one has asked for the model/year.

I guess we're not that far into the details yet.
          Rob...You might have glanced right over it, its a 78 750 (stated in the first post)
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I believe that the first line of the first post indicated that it was a 78 GS750.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Okay

Let's start with carbs
              When you say you rebuilt them, did you follow the tutorial here? New O rings? Carb rebuild kits?

Ignition
              You need both sets of points, both. Condensors that are properly gapped and timed with a timi g light

These bikes are pretty simple. Go to Bass cliffs site, download the factory service manual and read the tutorials
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                You need both sets of points, both. Condensors that are properly gapped and timed with a timi g light
                I do believe that I have missed the tutorial on how to gap and time the condensors.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve, some days I use my $60 tablet and that's the best I can do
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How do you use your $60 tablet to gap and time the condensors?

Sorry, but the logic in your reply eludes me.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve, you need to back off on the extra cups of coffee. Posting mistakes can happen and it's no reason to be unnecessarily rude. Big T obviously meant to say, buy new points and condensers and THEN re-gap and reset the timing. Or at least I was brilliant enough to understand that.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I didn't see any mention of the carb boots or air filter boots being checked or replaced.

I also don't know what is meant by "rebuilt the air box." But you do want to make sure it is properly sealed along with the boot connections.

I strongly suspect that your non oem exhaust is involved in your problem. In my experience stock jetting and stock air box do not play well with after market exhausts, particularly on the 8 valves. if you could find a stock exhaust (good luck) and take everything back to baseline, I would do that. Otherwise search here for the recommended jetting for the exhaust you have and possibly consider pods if they are recommended. Expect a fair amount of trial and error and tweaking. Just about any change you make to the stock setup will reduce your gas mileage somewhat.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I Agree with Steve, "IT'S TIME FOR A COMPLETE STRIP AND DIP REBUILD" I have been there on all sides of the rebuild theories and I know that only one way works with VM carburetors, at least a 24 hour soak in carburetor dip completely disassembled, new O-rings, floats adjusted and fuel levels checked, and most likely new boots and O-rings to the head. In your case the air box needs to be properly sealed also. I am running 4-1 pipes and pods, a stage 3 jet kit and regularly get 44 MPG on a GS1000E. There are extremely tiny passages in these carburetors, and 30+ years of hardened crud can not be cleaned with carburetor cleaner in a spray can even if you see some spraying through the passages. Spray carb cleaner is a final step along with compressed air. Then the adjustment process begins.
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                          X