Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM HEI conversion no spark

Hi everybody!
    First post to the site, and I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on the site. Very thoughtful discussion on all the threads too, which is pretty hard to find in most cases..

Anywho, I puschased an 81 gs650g from a kid who probably didn't have the best idea on how to work on bikes. The bike was running on only the 1,4 coil. He proceeded to cut wires to the insulation instead of probing on the terminals. The wiring harness was destroyed. I found many threads that all point to the hei conversion being the way to go.

I completely rewired the bike from scratch, used the eastern beaver pc-8 fuse box in place of stock.
    Thing is now the bike isn't sparking at all. I have it hooked up exactly as the pdf says too, soldered the resistors and diodes onto a circuit board and the ignitors are on a heat sink.

A buddie and I were trying to diagnose it and discovered the coils were semi-warm to hot after being left on for awhile. Coils test fine, ignitors seem to as well, just so spark is being produced.

I'll post pictures of the rig if needed, but any advice on were to test or check next would be very appreciated.

Even though I've done this, I didn't have to do any troubleshooting on it.
    For the 650, member 60ratrod did this also, but I don't think he'd any problems either.
    If the PO was in the habit of messing around ignorantly, check the triggers and their spacing - make sure they're actually doing something when they should.
    Last edited by Grimly; 05-17-2015, 12:09 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for your reply, fortunately I got it to spark today. I went and got 15 ohm resistors instead of the 10 I had on R2 and got bigger capacitors.
      They weren't kidding when they said bright blue sparks, I am very pleased with it

Comment

yes i did it, and boy does it work. but i think that i might be looking at rebuilding it. i used cheap hei modules from ebay and they may be going bad on me, and may have been the source of my issues last season before i pulled the motor. i used the steel light switch housing and cover from lowes, but i think i am going to be adding an additional frame ground since it only grounds from the mounting tab i welded to it, yet another potential problem that may be self-induced. i had to mount it to the underside of the battery tray from the left tray bolt. again, i think my problems stem from self-induced and cheap components, not the mod itself. i even used the stock connectors from the old oem ignitor to make the wiring installation portion easier. if you want photos of my build, just lemme know and i will get some up for you

Comment

Working...
        X