Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!hey guys new here and thinking about buying a 1980 suzuki gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!hey guys new here and thinking about buying a 1980 suzuki gs850

hey guys new here and new to motorcycles other then a honda ruckus clone

well this is the bike

it is a 1980 suzuki gs850 the owner payed a guy to make it a cafe racer and the guy flaked on him and now he is stuck with this and doesnt have the time to mess with it he is asking 1000 he said it was a perfectly running bike before he payed this guy to do what he did. the carbs were rebuilt and he said there was an electrical problem but the guy who worked on it said it was just a switch the guy said that the tank was sealed due to alittle bit of rust and im gunna go look at it tomorrow

this is all what the guy said and i will post tomorrow the mileage and any other answers that u guys need please HELP
    Attached Files

If you want to ride and not wrench......RUN AWAY FAST. You should be able to find a very road ready GS for $1k that has not been butchered.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Parts bike, $100 tops as it's missing most of the parts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If it has compression these are bulletproof motors.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok guys it has 58872 miles and its a complete bike and everything is there and i have a good friend whose been working on these bikes for 30 years

Comment

I will repeat what has already been mentioned:
            That is only PART of a bike, you can get a complete bike with fewer miles for the same money or less.

If you really insist on getting it anyway, the first question should be "do you have a clear title for it?"

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looking at the picture and reading your post gives me no reason to encourage you to go ahead with this. Sorry, but I would look elsewhere.
              The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Don't do it. As others have pointed out, $1K should get you a runner.

Comment

NOPE! never buy a custom that is unfinished,especially when you don't have the mechanical ability. Where are you located? Plenty of good bikes with a bit of looking.
                  1984 GS550ES
                  Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                  4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Like the guys said, steer clear.

Worth one hundred, not one thousand.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

A perfectly running bike and then he pays someone to rebuild the carburettors, seal the tank and fix a switch. This is a definition of perfect that is new to me. Looks like he forgot to mention the fork seals leaking as well.
                      Parts bike or long restoration job that might break even if you are very lucky and count your time for nought. Figure a year.
                      Few hundred tops if it has compression and if he'll deliver.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Tell him to get the motor running and then you'll look at it, otherwise look for a bike that's going already. Rebuilt carbs could also mean he's just cleaned and put new jets in to suit the pods. (Hopefully).

Comment

Yikes....I have a GS650E that is on the road, running and needs nothing that I'll sell you for less than what he wants, if you are in my area. Just as smooth, lighter, better handling and quicker. Anyway, like others say, that bike will be a poor deal for you. Keep looking for something better and then you can create a new forum name to match if you don't find a 80suzukigs850 !!

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else that you should take a pass on this one.

Comment

Don't Do It

That's a $200 bike...and I'm being nice because $100 would be my top offer.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X