Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!hey guys new here and thinking about buying a 1980 suzuki gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80suzukigs850 View Post
    Damn all of the lovly attitude makes a guy feel welcome here
    Best to have thick skin when asking these/us guys for advice on road worthy GS Bikes. Most will consider a cafe/bobber just a bad attempt at making a statement. Flat black paint is a cheap rattle can job to "cover up" flaws. Take the advice with a grain of salt. Its mostly covered by lots of miles on the road and plenty of hours in the garage. Don't get on Steves bad side. Hes grumpy : ) but he is also the guy who would show up at your place to help get your bike right. What we want to see you buy is a factory original, un-molested, well maintained machine. If you don't want that it would be best to end this thread and do it on your own......
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thank you. But a factory original bike is not what i want to do. I want a bike that isnt all original so that when i learn on it and turn it into my version of a cafe racer the automotive gods dont rain fire and brimstone down on me for doing it to a all original bike its like taking an all original 66 mustang and putting hydralics and tiny tires on it. I am by no means new to wrenching on stuff and i am also the guy to show up and help u get ur car right. I was just looking for advice and i should have been clear with what my intentions were with the bike. SORRY STEVE

Comment

Believe it or not, the guys and gals here are looking out for you. If your only wrenching experience is on that Rukus, buying an incomplete potentially problematic bike will potentially lead to frustration, and spending of more money in the long run then if you found a complete bike. Especially if youre in unfamiliar territory. If you choose to build a cafe bike, thats your prerogative. You can always sell the take off parts, or hold on to them for when cafe cool gets too old and uncomfortable......
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looks like I was late with my comment...
          I understand your sentiment about not wanting to chop up a decent survivor....Right on.....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You're right. For less than $1500 the pickins are slim on Wichita and KC Craigslist. Probably NOT what you want but I saw a couple Honda V45 Sabers, this nice looking 700 Nighthawk, and this sweet little GS.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Don't get on Steves bad side. Hes grumpy : )
              NO, I'M NOT!!!

I'm one of the other dwarves.

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              ... but he is also the guy who would show up at your place to help get your bike right.
              Probably not, this time around.

I am not traveling for work any more, and he is 800 miles away, which is just a bit too much for a weekend visit to help.

... i am in wichita ks ...
              And then there is that issue with the straight pipes. My help stops RIGHT THERE.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have been working on cars trucks tractor, even built a couple cars since i could walk. And there has always been thing that needed fixing around the ranch i grew up on and trust me i understand they are trying to help but calling it a damn parts bike because its missing an indicator and a rear fender and muffler is alittle over kill i dont know were yall find these complete bikes but i am one of the few that would rather buy a bike that hasnt been pampered all its life and bring it back to factory original or do WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT TO DO WITH IT.

The point of the original post is for me to find out if any of these bikes that i have been looking at and reading about would be decent starter bikes because again i would much rather not have a pampered bike for my first bike and maybe mess it up in some way

So if yall cant be helpfull and give me legit ament reasons why i should or should buy any of the bikes i post here feel free to keep your 2 cents because most of the time it doesnt help too much AND IF YOU WERE BEING NICE AND NOT ACTING LIKE A CHILD THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT AND HELP AND FEEL FREE TO HELP MORE IF YOU WANT

Comment

Statistically, Steve has a 6/7 chance of not being Grumpy. Is that every 7th post ?
                  @80suzukigs850 nobody wants to see you get stuck with an overpriced lemon that will bleed your wallet and enthusiasm. The guys with more experience have seen it happen too many times and we all just want you to ride from the time you take the keys and not get sucked into someone else's dream project that has gone all nightmare. As for legit reasons, sometimes it's just the smell of a bike spells trouble ahead. It can come over as telling you what to do. That is not the intent.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ok guys i found another and wanted to get yalls imput http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/5027489339.html

BE NICE

Comment

I have been working on cars trucks tractor, even built a couple cars since i could walk.
                      Sounds impressive, until you realize that most people learn to walk MUCH sooner in their lives.

... i understand they are trying to help but calling it a damn parts bike because its missing an indicator and a rear fender and muffler is alittle over kill ...
                      Only ONE person called it a "parts bike", the rest of us called it "partial" or "incomplete".
                      True, a couple of missing pieces does not make it a "parts bike", but the condition of the rest of the (first) bike did not help the impression any.

... but i am one of the few that would rather buy a bike that hasnt been pampered all its life and bring it back to factory original or do WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT TO DO WITH IT.
                      Attitude goes a long way toward stating your case.

The point of the original post is for me to find out if any of these bikes that i have been looking at and reading about would be decent starter bikes because again i would much rather not have a pampered bike for my first bike and maybe mess it up in some way
                      Well, please pardon us for trying to help. We were given the impression that this was your FIRST bike and you would be learning to ride on it, so we were trying to find something that would serve that purpose.

So if yall cant be helpfull and give me legit ament reasons why i should or should buy any of the bikes i post here feel free to keep your 2 cents because most of the time it doesnt help too much AND IF YOU WERE BEING NICE AND NOT ACTING LIKE A CHILD THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT AND HELP AND FEEL FREE TO HELP MORE IF YOU WANT
                      Again, we were given the impression that you came here ASKING for input and we gave you reasons why you should not buy that (those) bike(s). And if you were not responding with such a childish attitude, we might continue to help you.

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      Statistically, Steve has a 6/7 chance of not being Grumpy. Is that every 7th post ?
                      Yes, and this must be the one.

You can now call me the EIGHTH dwarf, "Silent", because I am outta here.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hear your words, chop up the 850, there are more parts for it.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Ok guys i found another and wanted to get yalls imput http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/5027489339.html

BE NICE
                          I get that the market must be tight in your area, but I'd be a little hesitant to cafe up a litre bike at that asking price. I get that guys with a tonne of experience can take something like that and transform it to gold, and you have some wrenching experience on other vehicles, but my advice would be to start with something smaller and lighter, like a 400/450/500/550.

Smaller, lighter bikes that can be run to their potential can be far more fun than holding back a beast 90% of the time
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

BE NICE
                            That looks like it has real possibilities. Take it for a ride, then talk him down a few hundred.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Both the 850 and the 1000 have good potential for you.

The 1000 is a bit overpriced IMHO, that 850 for less than $1,000 seems to fit the bill for you

It does need some mufflers or a 4-1. The CV carbs hate changes in the intake or exhaust system.

I'm assuming you've never worked with CV carbs, so that's your latest piece if advice

I do have to ask, is there a factory around there that makes flat black paint, or is that a regional thing?

And, don't get too upset at the answers you get here. Just be more specific. It's springtime and we get flooded with the "i'm going to get my 1st motorcycle and I don't know how to work on them" crowd, who jump at an old heap that's been all cut up and end up selling it in a few months

You sound like you've got some skills, so go buy one. If it's got most of the parts, you can see the extra ones here
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

@ RobS, exactly what I was thinking, ride it, make sure that the engine is cool before a test ride to make sure the "gremlins" have'nt been warmed up and hidden. If it runs and everything works offer $800.00 and see if he bites. Flat black must be todays "re-sale red" thats 3 for 3, there are other size GS bikes out there so don't be limited to big 4cyl. bikes. I picked up my GS750 E for $1200 delivered! and only had to freshen up the carbs and a rear tire, fix a few elec. quirks and I can go out any day or night, push the go button and she fire right up. And it was already cut up so I did'nt have to chop up a decent original. They are out there, but you may have to look beyond your state.

Comment

Working...
                                X