No announcement yet.

The GS Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@CG "G-3 I assume your bike is a 750 and I really can't remember for sure. Look up a fellow named Spiff, from Norway who did some mods similar to yours, but he has a 850 top end on it. I'm not that adventurous, just mentioning it."

Yes it's a 750, if i get
    crazy enough this winter i'll contemplate doing some thing like that! But i was thinking about putting it up to the GSR for a vote, 850 stroke kit or dropping in an engine from a 78-79 gs1000 if i can find one?

Comment

Really nice machine! What tailpiece is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Thanks alot. I think it's good to share your mods so folks have a better idea as to what goes into one of these bikes. There have been a couple of people on the forum who have taken a 550 and installed the pistons, cylinders and head of a 650 for a bike with a bit more HP. The 650 can put out from 68 to 73 HP depending who you believe. Nice work and thanks again.
        That is my plan too.
        I will try to get app. 80hp out of this little engine. Further I plan to tranfer the clutch system into a dry version (Ducati style).

@Crank
        The tail is stock (GS 550E), lightly modified with a selfmade subframe and Kawasaki taillight.

greets
        Sven

Comment

Sven your project if I may call it so is sweet, but, don't forget to sign up on to the "1 ounce%er" club
          tkent might be able to shed more weight , hoops more light....
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by sven77 View Post
            That is my plan too.
            I will try to get app. 80hp out of this little engine. Further I plan to tranfer the clutch system into a dry version (Ducati style).

@Crank
            The tail is stock (GS 550E), lightly modified with a selfmade subframe and Kawasaki taillight.

greets
            Sven
            80hp out of a GS550 would challenge Yoshimura in his prime.
            Having owned and tweaked a GS550, I'd have no issue finding a bigger GS, GSX or GSXR engine to swap in there.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              80hp out of a GS550 would challenge Yoshimura in his prime.
              Having owned and tweaked a GS550, I'd have no issue finding a bigger GS, GSX or GSXR engine to swap in there.
              I´ll try it even so. Pops would probably get a lot more out of it with todays possibilities in machining.
              But I think with the 650 parts and some more modifications it should be possible. My mantra in that case: trail and error (or not ).

@Lorenzo
              Without dreams and plans I would be dead...

greets
              Sven

Comment

Do not you ever dream (eehm) to get me wrong!!
                The important thing is, not taking ourselves too seriously, so I hope you too, come equipped with a fair dose of humor.
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by sven77 View Post
                  I´ll try it even so. Pops would probably get a lot more out of it with todays possibilities in machining.
                  But I think with the 650 parts and some more modifications it should be possible. My mantra in that case: trail and error (or not ).

@Lorenzo
                  Without dreams and plans I would be dead...

greets
                  Sven
                  I just looked at my ole Clymer service manual for the GS550, had a full chapter in the back about how to upgrade the performance, suspension and engine. Listed cams and slugs from Yoshimura R&D. So his crew did put a lot of research into upgrading the 550.
                  Bummer is, the book was printed in 1978, so all that good stuff has long since been discontinued.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

@ Sven, thats a great looking bike, i really like the look of it.. very nicely done!

and what a good idea it is to put up a list of the mods done to your bike,..

that can really help others and indeed give others an insight on what theres been done..

here's a list of mine

1980 GSX750L engine ,frame and swingarm
                    the frame has been modified with a rear hoop, a lot of brackets removed , the front tank mounts lowered .
                    as for the swing arm ,stock except welded on some bungs for the bobbins so i could use a rear stand.
                    engine ,stock
                    carbs, pods and a kit from Sigma6
                    exhaust, Laser 4 into 1 with custom muffler.
                    fork, 41mm GSX600F fork, i believe it was from a 1997 bike, its a straight forward swap. same bearings used ,same length bearings stem and same diameter front axle, new bushings/seals and oil.
                    brakes, Front SV650-'07 calipers stock discs and 14mm brake cylinder , homemade brackets for the calipers
                    rear disc/caliper stock, rear cylinder from a 1997 GSX600F
                    clutch perch/lever from accossato , has a different pull ratio, needs less effort to pull in the clutch
                    clip-ons,turn signals, rear light from Ebay
                    gauge from Acewell
                    wiring made by me from scratch
                    stock coils with new wires and Dynatek ignition
                    rear seat from fiberglass homemade, the side covers ,rear seat and tank cover made by me.
                    paint and goldleafing by me , the outlining on the goldleaf /lettering done by my buddy..
                    tires are continental TKV's

its almost done. already drove it, rides pretty decent, way different then my other bike, but very good..

Comment

GS-cafe I like your bike;
                      good idea to list the mods;
                      has it got rear sets?
                      how confortable is it? See, last sunday I did a 500 km trip and, with the bike in standard trim, it was effortless, no aching wrists nor back strain.

I had to try the new Tommaselli bars, and they are better than the previous, lower and straighter ones. How this bike would manage in a similar venture? Your clip-ons what company are? Did you keep tha original lenght cables? Could you detail them (pics)?

The seat hump, doubles as some reservoir, tool box space and the likes?

What is the scalloped (seems) strip on tank and hump?
                      The dress I am thinking of stitching around the bike will contemplate one of this:

Thanks
                      Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM.
                      GS1000G '81

Comment

Nice work GS-cafe! Well engineered!
                        Seems like if they still make higher lift cams, you should have modded the top end for more power.
                        I like the retro photography too!!!

Comment

Hey Lorenzo,

i doubt if a 500km trip will be doable on this.. but so far its not bad at all.. maybe in the future i will use handlebars, but for now i like the looks of the clip-ons. i will make some detailed picture's of them
                          i used all stock cables, except for the brake lines, those are custom made.. there is some space under the hump, i still have to make a housing so i can put small stuff in it..

the pieces on the tank and hump are some piece's i made out of sheet metal, just for decoration,

and it has rearsets, i used some pegs from a KTM, and made the rest out of scrap metal,. the shift lever is from an TL1000S

@ Buffalo Bill,

thanks man!

i was playing around with my phone and found these options.. but for now i just hope this engine will keep itself together,.. i have not done anything with it, except cleaning,changing the oil and upgraded the ignition,.. i dont know how much miles there on it (presumably around 20.000 miles, what the stock ODOmeter reads) or what kind of life its have had..so fingers crossed there,.. it sounds pretty good, with now mechanical noises so far..

Comment

There must be a way to make this style of bike practical and gentle to the meniscus.
                            Our bikes, in the original guise, are confortable and make for excellent tour masters (I see them Gs'ers and imperial bikers,, delay the resumption of the trip, while stopping for a refuel or a cigar).

But, what bought me to the style many cafe racers are built in, was the sensation, I once had, while travelling on a ribbonless strip of tarmac, chin (helmet guard) flat on tthe tank, and the machine brisk;ly picking up, whitout throttle action, from 110Km/h -- 70mph to 140Km/h -- 90mph.

What would have taken in terms of engine mods, to match that improvement?

I do not mean to build a Burt Munro's replica, but improve aerodynamics, I think is defenetelly -->one<-- way to go.
                            oh and yes, with a fully reversible combo.

We'll get there.
                            Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-24-2015, 03:34 PM.
                            GS1000G '81

Comment

Paris Blues

OK, this was my 550T project, inspired by the Triumph Thruxton. Could not find a GS650 but a 550 turned up cheap so I went with that. A 650 project is still on my list of things undone.
                              There just happened to be a Thruxton at the local Honda dealership this week so I was able to sit on it, and it felt exactly like my GS550 cafe.
                              I named it after the Paul Newman movie: Paris Blues, I'm a big fan of jazz, the 1950s, ect.
                              It was not an engineering project, style only.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

looks good!!, really like the colors, its got that oldschool look to it..

Comment

Working...
                                X