Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plug on cylinder head side of siamese carbs (GS550es)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug on cylinder head side of siamese carbs (GS550es)

On the 550es, the siamese carbs have a plug that sits in the curved triangular gap between the throats on the head side of the carburetor.

When cleaning them up, they appeared to have either a sealant to hold them in place, or a great deal of gasoline varnish.

Do the plugs require a sealant when reinstalling them?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

none in mine all is well

Comment

That pic is the airbox side.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        That pic is the airbox side.

You are correct- I had it turned around in my head. That is the airbox side, but be that as it may, sealant or no?

My gut says there should be none, but I was a bit surprised to see a layer of "gunk" on the backside of the plugs. Could've been a case of POitis, but the plugs seem to be awfully loose, as in they don't stay in place on their own, making reinstall difficult.

Is that normal, or have they shrunk a bit due to being 30 odd years old?
        '83 GS650G

Comment

mine had residue also
          maybe just there as a precaution during assembly to assure th eplugs stayed in?

Mine currently have nothing holding them in but I have the luxury of time when assembling the carbs.
          The Japanese minion had very little on the line probably.

Works fine
          forget about it!

Comment

Thanks, Jeep.

With the airbox pulled all the way out, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'll let you know how much swearing is involved when I get it done.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Yes reasr suspension dropped whell of is the only way to go
              battery box out everything
              more work in terms of time but one hell of a lot less frustration
              also invest in some new box to carb boots I may get off my ass an instlal mine this year
              they are supple and not shrunken like the old ones.

Comment

Working...
              X