fuel leaking from throttle stop screw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel leaking from throttle stop screw.

Hello, my problem and fix are simple. I have a fuel leak coming from the throttle stop screw. It's pretty obvious the small rubber seal is just done for.
    My question is should I get the new part. Can I simply just un-screw the throttle stop until the whole piece comes out, slide on the new part and screw back in?
    I see there is a spring... I sure wouldn't want to lose that inside my carbs.
    Help please and thank you!
    -thegirl

Methinks you have some terminology mixed up here.

First, let's start with the basics. What bike are we discussing?
    There are two basic carb models on GSes, they are totally different, so would hate to have you look at wrong drawings.

What are YOU calling a "throttle stop screw"?
    Once we know which type of carbs, we can post a picture and ask you which part number.

For example, where is it? On which carb is it? Inside? Outside?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My bike is a 79 Suzuki GS550L. The throttle stop screw is also known as the idle speed adjuster.

Comment

Are you talking about item 62 in the drawing below?

If so, then It's not possible for fuel to be coming from it since it never intersects anything that has fuel in it. The leak must be coming from another location.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The fuel leak's origin is somewhere else, and the fuel runs down the adjuster cable. The adjuster contacts the linkage between the carbs, and this cannot be the origin of your fuel leak.

The fuel leak is probably from the "T" piece between the carbs, or could even be from the float bowl gasket, from where it runs down the adjuster cable. You will have to clean up the area and use a strong light to observe where the fuel is coming from, or apply some powder (baby powder? - guys use foot powder!) around the area, so that it is easier to spot the true origin of the leak.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Is this related to the fuel issue in your other thread (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...uel-feed-issue )? If so, this is the point where we typically recommend removing the carbs from the bike and giving them a good going-through.

Head over to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and find the carb rebuild tutorial for your bike. Then swing by http://cycleorings.com/ and pick up a rebuild kit for your carbs. Be sure you know for sure whether you have a 1979 or 1980 bike because the carbs for each are completely different. (See my response in your previous thread.)
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X