Old bike New owner... Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bike New owner... Hi!

So I've owned my bike for an good 5 years. I got her in some boxes and did a total rebuild. Learned a lot about mechanics and the inner workings of motor bikes.
    The only problem I had was a lack of drivers licence. Well that's a lie of course a life without problems is a boring one.
    One of the other problems is a lack of funding due to me being a student. But all in all I got my bike together and to the point I could do some highly illegal test driving.
    The beast lived and it was time to start with the licence.
    After a view months I revised my work on the bike and came to the conclusion that I did a lot for someone who had no previous motorcycle knowledge.
    But there were still some flaws I had to mend. Because when I poured the gearbox oil in, the next day it was laying in an nice puddle under the bike.
    And the problem with this pre-unit is that you have to remove the engine to remove the gearbox.

So i decided that the BSA A7 project was to be put on the low burner because I came to the conclusion that it would take a while before she would be on the road in an reliable way.
    The bike is from '55 so I want it to be as safe as possible.

You must be thinking that either I'm in the complete wrong forum, or just a bit loopy.

But no there is an use for this story...
    Because at that time I realised that I wanted an bike that would be more reliable and still affordable. And hit the intwebs,
    searching for a view days I found one that looked like it was new for the ridiculous price of 200 euro(200 and a bit in dollars)
    And having some experience in buying second hand cars all sorts of bells and whistles started to go of.
    But on the other hand she looks really good. And my enthusiasm at this point was boiling over, so my first thought was lets call the owner!
    But there was no number and who new how many people had mailed him?! horrible thought.
    So I did some web CSI-ing and found his number and called immediately.
    Yay first caller! he aparantly had gotten a few mails about the bike but hadn't had the time to answer them so he granted me first right of viewing!
    Double yay!

I asked an neighbour who has an Honda 6 cylinder, some sort of ducati race monster and quite a lot of general motorstuff knowledge if he could company me. And he did.
    We went to the guy selling the bike and it was the best buy I ever did.
    Apparently it was his first bike, but as the years got on his age and caution grew and he bought a newer version of the bike with abs and so on.
    But couldn't get himself to selling his baby. So after a year of not being used his wife wanted space in the garage for two electrical bicycles.
    And the choice was made sort of for him I think.
    He pulled the bike out of the garage with great care and showed all sorts of improvements and upgrades he made like steel brake lines and the sort.
    No flashy gimmicks though just improvements. Also an specially made exaust muffler, but I'm not sure i like that because the more I read about performance here...

enniehoe he tried to start the bike with the warning that it hadn't run in over a year. Indeed after a few times trying the battery died, so I got some jumper cables from my vw t3 van(also awesome)
    and hooked it up to his car. It took some time but she started. Yay! My neighbour said that it sounded ok apart from the fact that is was running on 3 cillinders...
    at which I reacted by staring stupidly at him as I recall now trying to figure out how the hell he could hear anything in that mess of roaring growls.
    But after some encouragement the third cylinder started to do its job and apparently everything sounded quite well, and something was muttered about sowing machines.

The neighbour did a short test drive, as i was in the beginnings of getting my licence and was quite impressed by the bike.
    He grumbled that this bike braked better than his 6 cylinder Honda.
    At this time I was stoked! than I asked the seller about the low price. And he said that he tried to sell his wife's bike a few years back and couldn't get an reasonable price for it on-line,
    so he went to a local vendor and let him sell it. It went for a decent price but after the percentage for the shop he only got 200,- .
    And now he needed the bike gone because his new electrical bicycles were parked outside
    He said that if I'm getting a low price for the bike I don't want the other party to pay more for it. So really decent guy.
    Also when the sale was made under the promise that I have to take great care of her and at least put some new oil and a valve check before touring,
    he came running after us with an clymer manual.
    Like I said best buy ever!

So we brought her home and now she's mine! Did an oil change and put some carb-cleaning solution in the gas tank.
    Checked the important things and concluded she would be safe to drive, but some work had to be done.
    The tyres are a bit old but I'll change them in the coming time. Aah I probably should mention the type as some of you must be wondering by now...

So here we are...

It's an '81 gs650gt (no motorcycles were harmed or mistreated in this picture)

Here is an more accurate and realistic representation of the GS:

So that's about it I guess. I could tell you about me, but that's far less interesting.
    If there are questions I'll gladly answer them.

best of warm feelings from The Netherlands

Pim. (that's my name )
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2015, 07:40 PM. Reason: fiddeling around with the img tags... who new http:// was an requirement :P

Thats, a beautiful bike man. Welcome to GSR!

Comment

Welcome. That is a gorgeous bike. Careful with the jump starting. If the car supplying the power is running, its a quick way to kill the bikes charging system.

Good luck and enjoy.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks mr. quick reader
        I was wondering by the way does any body know if the paint scheme is original? Because it looks ridiculously good for an 30+ year old bike, but there are some parts that make me wonder if it's an superbly repaint...

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Careful with the jump starting. If the car supplying the power is running, its a quick way to kill the bikes charging system.
          Good luck and enjoy.
          How's that? does the generator in the gs produce less voltage than an car genarator? Or is there some sort of current protection in the electrical system on the bike? I'd say 14 volts is 14 volts...
          Luckily the bike charges fine now
          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2015, 07:54 PM. Reason: admendum

Comment

Just hook up to a non running car and you will be fine.
            Is the paint original it does look great
            Odd transition from chrome head pipes to black chrome exhausts.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Just hook up to a non running car and you will be fine.
              Is the paint original it does look great
              Odd transition from chrome head pipes to black chrome exhausts.
              First thing I did was put an new battery in.
              Don't know if the paint is original, looks really good but there are some spots that make me wonder
              Apparently painting the pipes was cheaper than chroming them... luckily there is some bluing to help the transition
              Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2015, 08:08 PM. Reason: grammar...

Comment

Holy cow, for 200EUR you practically stole it from him.

I had no idea there was a GS650GT. That's a really nice bike. Not sure how much of it is stock since I'm not as familiar with European GS offerings. Take good care of it and it will take care of you. See the link in my sig to BassCliff's mega-welcome, your starting point for everything you ever wanted to know about maintaining it. I would start with a complete carburetor teardown and deep cleaning. After that, check adjust the valves. Probably won't need much more than that.

Welcome!

Also, is that a spiral staircase in your front yard?
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome Pim. Fantastic looking 650gt. In my 6 years of owning one, I've never seen one pained in that color scheme. I would venture to say that the faring isn't original and the rear cowl has been altered. That is my US centric opinion. A beautiful bike and in my price range to boot! Welcome and always wear a helmet All the beer (gear?) all the time!

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Plinius10 View Post
                    Thanks

How's that? does the generator in the gs produce less voltage than an car genarator? Or is there some sort of current protection in the electrical system on the bike? I'd say 14 volts is 14 volts...
                    Luckily the bike charges fine now
                    In theory you are right; in practice, I've had it cost me an alternator. I think that what may happen is that the bikes voltage regulator tries to regulate the car's alternator and dies trying. You end up with two alternators and two regulators who may get into a fatal argument if their voltages don't agree. I connected a [running] Ford to a Renault once and the Ford won.
                    '82 GS450T

Comment

Looks great Nice Bike welcome.

Comment

I wouldn't have thought that the paint scheme was an original, but then while I was searching to see of the GT650 ever came with a fairing, I found this...

from here LINK

Coiincidence? Either way, I like it.

Shame about the lines from the ​fairing to the tank.
                        Attached Files
                        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Well, how about that? Either it is the same bike, or things were shipped out to parts of Europe looking a little bit different than other parts of the continent. That is the first 650GT I've seen with a fairing. The tail piece looks like a blend between a regular G and an E.

Either way, it looks like a good score, for a good price.

Welcome to the GSR
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Awesome to see the same colours on an different bike!
                            According to the vehicle registration it hasn't been in Italy so pretty sure there are at least two of these!

Originally posted by eil View Post

Also, is that a spiral staircase in your front yard?
                            it's at a friends but yes, old military base now being converted to suburb

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                            I connected a [running] Ford to a Renault once and the Ford won.
                            Aah the French are famous for their non failing electrical problems The neighbour that companied me while buying the bike had an Citroen picaso witch had "computer problems" according to the dealer, they swapped it and the problem remained. Aah the dealer said than it must be the other computer... so they swapped that one and still the problem persisted. the neighbour got a bit weary and asked me to have a look, and after some time with a multimeter decided that the tank float sensor had a bad connection.... fault found, problem solved... Hilarious to see the dealer immediately guessing French electronics at fault

Comment

Welcome-and what a great looking bike you have!
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X