No announcement yet.

Old bike New owner... Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey Pim hoe gaat het...200 euros! awesome deal it's in beautiful condition...
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      hey Pim hoe gaat het...200 euros! awesome deal it's in beautiful condition...
      Prima! met mij tenminsten...

SOoo While I was visiting a friend I had a taste of driving at night on small back country farm roads... That was exiting.
      But I have to say after an hour of trying to guess where there might be an road crossing it got a bit intensive than I had thought.
      The visit was nice, and he gave me and old tankbag of his! Awesome. He also gave me some magazines on proper cornering
      So I have some reading to do.

Aaanyway, Just before I left I saw some shininess near the rear axle on the right side... Oh oh, usually I have to work to get the bike shiny.

Great, leaking shock. Which led me to the next problem.
      I know the shocks aren't stock. But I have no idea what brand the are.
      And if i can rebuild them or if I have to buy new ones. That'll double the bike in value I'm sure!

And usually this type of shocks are mounted the other way round right?
      I'm starting to think the previous owner mounted them upside down.(sorry for the crappy phone pics..)

Could that also be the problem with them leaking?
      I haven't done any proper research on this kind of shock so maybe it's just asking for problems mounted this way.
      If anyone can shed some light on the matter, please do

Last one: the logo if you know the brand please let me know.
      I'm off to to some shock(ing) research!

Bye!

Comment

Soo a dinner and some fact finding later, I have found that indeed they are upside down
        And also that they are Marzocchi's. I haven't found much on different models, but they seem to be AG Strada?
        For which I can't seem to find rebuild kits yet. Quite shocking (Phun intendid yes...) i found that a pair of used strada's cost the same as i payed for the bike

I've found a manual for the Strada's and if I'm correct they have an separate oil and air system. But because it's mounted the wrong way maybe it's pushing the oil out the wrong way too.
        I'll turn them around and have a look while they're off the bike.

I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Just to add one more "What a great looking bike and love the fairing!"
          The accumulator part of the shock looks like it's in the proper position, but yes, usually the springs are at the top. Odd.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

they shouldn't be leaking even if they are upside down and it doesn't look like there is enough room to mount them the other way.

My Tec shocks are mounted the same way and don't leak and I only paid $200 for my Tecs. I imagine with some shocks it can cost as much to rebuild them as a new set would cost. A pair of Ohlins would worth rebuilding I don't know about the brand you have.
            Last edited by wyly; 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              ...I only paid $200 for my Tecs...
              me too, and I got a free bike with them!
              I'll order the rebuild kit in the coming days.
              they are around €90,- with shipping, so a lot cheaper than a new set.
              And I don't like the idea of a used set because mine seemed fine too...
              So when the set arrives I'll post the process!

Comment

Soo I'm getting used to the bike after some miles I put on it. I decided to ditch the fairing for the summer months as I like the looks better whitout it, but loved the windstopping effect in the winter So some time ago I bought the brackets for the headlight and removed the rust. The paint is drying as I type and that brings me to the following question:
                To mount the brackets I have to remove the top steering plate. As I read it in the books its a matter of
                -removing the chocke cable
                -unscrewing the instrument pannel
                -unscrewing the lock nut where the chocke cable goes trough
                -unscrewing the 3 pinch bolts on the forks and the bearing part.

And that should do the trick I believe.
                But I'm not quite sure if i can do this whitout messing up the fork alignment?
                Or is it just popping the thing of, add the brackets, and popping the plate back on and thats it?

Any tips or trick I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Pim.

color is now black gloss

Last weekend 230 mile trip

Random trip to steinfurt in germany

Comment

Oh and another thing that is less fun, I found out that my bike used 350cc of oil on the 230 mile trip... It doesn't smoke it doesn't leak... it sweats a bit around the leftside cover. so I'm not sure where it teleports the oil to but maybe the cillinder springs are done? any other sugestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Plinius10 View Post
                    But I'm not quite sure if i can do this whitout messing up the fork alignment?
                    Or is it just popping the thing of, add the brackets, and popping the plate back on and thats it?
                    Just pop it off and on, the bottom yoke holds it all in place.

mooie GS !
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thanks rijko! that makes for a lot less trying to hold on to all the parts as I unfasten the plate

Comment

It is so great to have folks from the Netherlands on here. Great people!
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          It is so great to have folks from the Netherlands on here. Great people!
                          thank you Sir !
                          Right back at ya - i have been working with US based colleagues for 17 years
                          and worked for the US army as a civilian for several years before that and enjoyed that a lot. The folks on this forum are great to hang with, too !
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

Small photo update:

This was last weekend, it's a spot the vehicles game
                            (notice the fairing still on the gs)

Then some sand blasting and some painting of the brackets

And the big change to the summer setup !!
                            Popping the top steering plate was indeed easy as pie.
                            I thought to move the blinkers from the back to the front becouse I have an krausser k2 luggage set waiting to be mounted. and the frame for that have blinkers intergrated. But that's another project. So for now i mounted the blinkers I had laying around from my BSA a7 bike

And after a short test ride I became aware I was mirror less... so tadaa!

And some ride pics at the local decomissioned airfield near my place.

Cheers!

Comment

Looks great! An uneasy vulnerable feeling it is to check for traffic only find you have no mirrors. I did that once also.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

some years ago i bought a Reevu helmet with built-in rear view mirror.

It's not perfect, like on bumpy roads the mirror trembles and you can't see.
                                But it beats just rear view mirrors and i love it, never want to do without it again.

Last edited by Rijko; 06-01-2017, 05:27 PM.
                                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                                Bikecliff's website
                                The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                                X