Need some help.. getting frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help.. getting frustrated

A few days ago I noticed fuel leaking from my carbs. I've read through all of the threads on this website (including most of the info on BikeCliff's website) to try and figure out what the problem is but I'm just having no luck.

Symptoms:
    - Fuel flows from middle two carbs when bike is running
    - I can't see exactly where the fuel is leaking from but it is NOT from the overflow nozzles
    - Bike runs great
    - If I take the tank off and run the bike on the gas left in the tube - no leaking

I've pulled the carbs off and inspected the bowl seals, needle, float bowls (needles and bowls do not seem to be sticking and no holes or wear detected). I've been careful to put everything back together correctly. Petcock seems to be working fine (I guess - doesn't flow fuel while 'on' or in 'res' but does on 'prm'). I've checked the float bowl height, 22.4mm.

How often do the fuel transfer tubes (between carbs) go bad? I just can't think of anything else it could be.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S. Carbs are Mikuni BS 34SS

Had the same problem with one carb. It turned out to be the seal in the choke in carb #3. Check to see if there is any fuel leaching out of the choke in the carbs. It is not a lot but a little difficult to spot at first as it is not obvious.

Comment

YES! I was right.

Both sides.. crazy
      Attached Files

Comment

You've just discovered why all the tutorials say buy a set of O rings for your carbs

The material just doesn't hold up for 30 years
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Changing the o-rings is the easy part.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well done on finding the problem.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            The material just doesn't hold up for 30 years
            They don't make 'em like they used to! Take 'em back to Suzuki and get replacements under warranty.
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Working...
            X