X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride of the year... carb problem?

Greetings,

So first.. the ending: It works now.

The prequel: I started my 850 a couple of weeks ago just to let it run for about 5 minutes. After setting the entire winter the choke was almost frozen... very stiff to pull the choke out, but finally after some work it freed up. I got it running to warm up and shut it off. Yesterday, I hosed down the bike to wash it off and then started it again.

This time I had time to take a ride. It bogged down at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. It would idle smoothly and it would run at speed smoothly as long as throttle was not required past about 1/4. Once I throttled above the 1/4-ish mark it would shutter .. no pops, no back-fire... no power.

I thought maybe I had an ignition issue from the bath I gave it; but with the decent idle and smooth running under 1/4 throttle I thought carb issues sounded more likely.

I went back to read some of the earlier posts from similar issues today and decided I might have some junk in one or more carbs. I went ahead and bought some Seafoam and dumped into the fuel. I was running on the fuel with stabilizer in it from winterization but thought maybe some of the fuel gelled because of the long sit.

So about 3:00 I took it on the road again to get the treated fuel in the carbs.

It was acting the same, but after ten minutes or so of exercising the throttle it gave signs of better power at 1/4 throttle. I came to an open stretch of road and was able to go from a stop and let it wind out in first gear. As the tach (slowly) hit about 8000 something broke free and it surprised me and surged to 10,000 in a flash. Second gear was full power and third was too. I did not have good space to really push it any faster, but suffice to say it runs like a champ now... no issues whatsoever.. good power at all throttle positions.

I wonder if I had developed condensation in the tank? I had it filled with gas and stabilizer before winter to try to avoid too much air space in the tank, but maybe it was not enough.

Any best guesses on what was going on?

"Any best guesses on what was going on?"

your bike felt winter was over two months ago. The italian tuneup (combined with seafoam) worked its magic- likely freed up some gunk in slow speed circuits and removed the transition stumble . Take it for nice long ride as a reward!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Some carb passages were gummed up, probably the tiny holes in the needle jet. Luckily, they seem to have loosened up on their own. Count your blessings and ride.

Comment

Sounds to me that some or all of the slides/needles were stuck, and just needed some friendly persuasion to free up?
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
        X