Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSX1100/750 Tanks... different versions for US and UK markets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100/750 Tanks... different versions for US and UK markets?

I also posted my questions in the "Wanted" forum, but decided to ask here as it seems a more apropriate forum for appearance related questions.

I`ve noticed that the 1980 GSX1100 has a nice looking tank (see first 2 pictures). I`m looking to buy one for a project. However, my search has led me to believe that this specific model of 1980 GSX1100 or the 80-83 GSX750 tanks may have been OEM on bikes outside the north american market. As compared to the usual GS1100 tanks I see (see 3rd picture), this one Its a more rounded tank from top to the bottom back half, and has a trapezoïd looking side panels, just in front of the knee indents.

Am I looking for a Unicorn with this search, are they rare? Seems to me that the GSX750 and 1100 were produced in large numbers but the markets may vary.
    Were they made for the US/Canada market or only overseas?

Please share any info you might know about this, or sell me yours if you have one!

Not in the US, don't know about which other countries got them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not sure where you live, but no we don't see those tanks in 1st pic (there is no second pic?) unless the bike was imported by someone. The last pic is what we have so good luck finding the first pic style tank if you live in the US. The color schemes were all different too.

Comment

The tanks are 24 litre capacity and went to New Zealand, Australia, and England as far as I know.002 (Medium).jpg

Comment

... Europe got the UK version of the tank too if I recall. north American tanks were different...

Comment

The 'L' leading axle forks were an influence too, I would think. To accomodate them, the tank was robbed of front capacity, so Suzuki gave it a slight rear hump to compensate for loss of volume.
            Pure speculation, of course.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Have to agree the GSX tank is much more attractive than the GS tank. Of course this was corrected in 82-83

Comment

Sure is a nice looking tank though!

Comment

Working...
                X