No announcement yet.

Irritating tendency in bike shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you could wear a blinged out riding jacket, and walk into the shop with gobs of cash popping out of your pockets? That'd grab someone's attention pretty quick.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Maybe you could wear a blinged out riding jacket, and walk into the shop with gobs of cash popping out of your pockets? That'd grab someone's attention pretty quick.
      I think my armor is pretty bling . I'll remember to have cash popping out of the pockets next time.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        ...walk into the shop with gobs of cash popping out of your pockets? That'd grab someone's attention pretty quick.
        Money talks...

When I was 18 and pulled up to the Harley dealer on a CB350, if they said anything at all to me, it was, "Don't touch that!"

When I'm in my 50's and pull up in a new Cadillac, they're all over me. "Want a test ride? Try this one."
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Judge A Book

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
          I'm on the petite side but I've been riding since 1984. Today, I stopped at the local bike shop with a friend to look at helmets and tank bags. He was just browsing the bikes while I did my thing and took a liking to a Triumph Tiger 1200. All fine and good since he's been considering an adventure bike to go with his 1100L. I swear to god every last sales person in the place assumed I rode the back of his bike even though I pulled in the parking lot on my own bike. It so irritating that after 30 years, men still think women ride pillion.
          Tamara, I'm curious...were these big galoops (over 6ft tall) or dudes less than 5' 10"? I'm not gonna ask if they had pot bellies but you can elaborate.

One should avoid judging a book by its cover but it seems a difficult task for both sexes.

I think it's great you had a father who mentored you in the art of mechanical engineering. I work with Aircraft Maintainers and some of the females give me a hard time because I don't recognize certain nomenclatures of components installed on the jets. After all, it is expected for guys to be "jack of all trades, master of none".

I'm with the person who said to ride up to the door with your bike in your bling. People need to be reminded not to under estimate knowledge & skill set.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-17-2015, 07:55 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Another was about 15 years ago at our previous house in the country. We needed the roof done and one of the local contractors came by to give us an estimate. Every time she asked him a question he would look at me and give the answer - not her. Drove both of us nuts and no he didn't get the job.
            Unfortunately, this was an experience I had as well. My wife told me that, "because I'm a man", I should talk to the contractor who wasn't listening to her regarding a structural issue we were having. After I spoke to the guy, repeating verbatim what my wife had said, he agreed with me and the issue was resolved. I still feel resentment and disappointment that a lot of men don't give women the respect they have earned and deserve.
            IBA# 12860
            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
            1984 KZ1100R
            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
              I still feel resentment and disappointment that a lot of men don't give women the respect they have earned and deserve.
              Men are kind of good at shooting themselves in the foot. Our local Lordco have a few women working behind the parts counter and they're my go to people when I go there. They're polite, they know their stuff and are efficient and accurate in what they do. They don't just grunt at you like most of the guys do. I work IT and more and more women are working support roles at many major help desks. I find the same thing there too and without the know-it-all attitude and ego. And get this, a recent survey I saw in a biz mag pitted women department heads and CEOs again men and women were more likely to get better funding and budget increases than their male counterparts.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                Tamara, I'm curious...were these big galoops (over 6ft tall) or dudes less than 5' 10"? I'm not gonna ask if they had pot bellies but you can elaborate.

One should avoid judging a book by its cover but it seems a difficult task for both sexes.

Ed
                They were probably between 5' 10" and 6' and no pot bellies. I swear a prerequisite to work at this Triumph/Kawi/etc shop is to be male models of varying ages. By comparison, I'm a smidge over 5' tall and barely tip the scale at 100# but I wear a snazzy armored jacket .

Comment

Knowledge is Power

They were probably between 5' 10" and 6' and no pot bellies. I swear a prerequisite to work at this Triumph/Kawi/etc shop is to be male models of varying ages. By comparison, I'm a smidge over 5' tall and barely tip the scale at 100# but I wear a snazzy armored jacket .
                  So, we're talking high visibility dealerships...and here in Florida? (I just noticed your location)

I hit up a motorcycle shop in Las Cruces, NM looking for the spring that goes in the oil filter and was kindly directed to a local hardware store.

They really size you up (generalized term) when you walk into any specialized establishment. I would hope it's to determine their approach in a professional manner.

Some customers may make it easy to poke fun at; the catch is for the representative not to come across condescending.

Meeting a petite woman as yourself would initially prompt curiosity that would allow easy conversation. I'm amazed at the degree of confidence and presentation just by listening.

No matter what, my guess is that you're a breath of fresh air to those that appreciate mechanical aptitude.

Ed
                  Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-18-2015, 04:45 AM.
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I will admit to a bit of that bias here to.We walked up to the parts department of the local dealer,the was a man and woman there.I was somehow surprised when the woman knew exactly what I was asking for.Yes I should know better

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      So, we're talking high visibility dealerships...and here in Florida? (I just noticed your location)

They really size you up (generalized term) when you walk into any specialized establishment. I would hope it's to determine their approach in a professional manner.

Some customers may make it easy to poke fun at; the catch is for the representative not to come across condescending.

Meeting a petite woman as yourself would initially prompt curiosity that would allow easy conversation. I'm amazed at the degree of confidence and presentation just by listening.

No matter what, my guess is that you're a breath of fresh air to those that appreciate mechanical aptitude.

Ed
                      This one did a massive build out a couple years ago and I think their egos have become a tad large. Admittedly, I don't see a lot of women ride in our area and that might have some bearing on the way I get treated when I walk in especially if I'm with my friend (6' 5").

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        I will admit to a bit of that bias here to.We walked up to the parts department of the local dealer,the was a man and woman there.I was somehow surprised when the woman knew exactly what I was asking for.Yes I should know better
                        When I go to the parts department, I wait to see who acknowledges me. The parts area seems to be the general congregation area at our shop so I never know who actually is a parts person.

Comment

Never Alone

This one did a massive build out a couple years ago and I think their egos have become a tad large. Admittedly, I don't see a lot of women ride in our area and that might have some bearing on the way I get treated when I walk in especially if I'm with my friend (6' 5").
                          It's good to hear you venture out with a buddy; especially one so obvious. Good chat...seeya!

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Oh, they definitely size you up right away (and categorize you if they're idiots)

My buddy Joe made a bunch of money in the tech boom, but, he works from home and his typical attire is Birkenstocks, sweat pants, T shirt and flannel shirt. He puts on jeans when he goes out in public.

He had a friend who was down on his luck and needed a new car, so Joe went into the Dodge dealer looking for a used Caravan. He found one and being a savvy negotiator, he was in the office for a while. His wife got bored and wandered the lot. She comes back in and says "honey, come with me" , so they go look at a Jaguar XK8 on the lot. He test drives it and starts to negotiate the deal for both cars.

The salesman balks at this, saying Joe can't afford the Jag. Joe threatens to go elsewhere and they hammer out a price for both cars. His wife then writes a check for both cars and the salesman is floored by the cash payment.

The additional irony here is that Joe is 6'6" and used to be Mr. Goodwrench.

So, gender or looks, there's lots of people in sales who are not up on the modern world
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Couldn't come up with a one liner when I posted the other day, but it came to me at the crack of dawn this morning. It all hinges on the delivery, and you would have to look the presumptuous offender in the eye and say something like this. " You know, if you were about three hat sizes smaller, I would let you ride pillion on mine!

Comment

Working...
                              X