Gr650 starter help, bad continuity in armature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gr650 starter help, bad continuity in armature

Got an 83 gr650 tempter and about a week later and a few rides it suddenly wouldn't kill to the switch or key. It just kept trying to turn over, I let it start to take the strain off, I thought it was the button gummed up. Stopped and was fine a couple days.

Now the issue - sprag clutch wasn't engaging the flywheel so I pulled the cover, all good, back together. Rebuilt starter to see if it wasn't spinning fast enough to make enough centrifical force to engage the sprag. The armature is testing 5-7 ohms in lost continuity so it's no good and yay they don't make these easy to get. Is the gs550 starter usable, what about another armature they don't look like something I can rebuild? Any help will be praised, the sun is out, I need to ride.

So are you saying that even with key switch "off "and run/kill switch "off" , the starter motor kept spinning? Make sure that starter solenoid wiring is correct, cuz it sounds like once it's energized, it locks "on". If the starter actually spun motor ok, your armature ohm readings don't make sense.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X