Hello from South Dakota!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from South Dakota!!

Just bought a 1980 Gs850g with 9k original miles! its getting the time and effort put in to get it into the café style! bought it originally for $800 last month. Thought I would share and hopefully connect with others! Thanks- Lane
    Attached Files

Lane,

That's a good price if it was more or less running

Welcome aboard and ignore the cafe haters
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Welcome aboard. Waaayyy too nice looking bike to go and start chopping it up. Good luck with the project and do it in good taste. Anxious to see updates along the way.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Short update!!! Got my cafe tail from dime city cycles and it looks amazing!! got them all smoothed out and put a little color on them this evening! as well as some clear! next step is some color sanding! :/ then a good polish and buff! going to stand out!! !
        Attached Files

Comment

The tank before clear
          Attached Files

Comment

The tank after clear and ready for some color sanding and a buff!
            Attached Files

Comment

side of the tank
              Attached Files

Comment

The cafe fairing.. i also painted the side plates and front fender to match!
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far. What are you using for the paint application?
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Regular gravity feed paint gun. wet sanded all the orange peel out of the clear coat and not just waiting to find the time to buff it. Having more trouble with running issues and how to start diagnosing the problems. It runs good with the stock airbox but i would like to run pods. My stock jetting is 115. Im used to doing bug chops but i don't know much about the needles and shimming them. I have stock exhaust. Any advice would be much appreciated.. or some direction to somebody who knows more or has a set up that i can test. Thanks- Lane

Comment

THat is one of the nicest stock, complete stock, original condition, 850 that anyone will ever find.

Stock paint.
                      Stock exhaust.
                      All in great condition.

And was gotten for a good price.
                      Even stock seat cover yet.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you, looks a little different now! I didnt butcher it but spent a lot of time and money to make it into a Gs850c... c you ask? stands for cafe. i will have it finished in the near future! Ive got a total of about $1400 wrapped up it this build including purchase! Amazing what a little time and effort can do! -Lane

Comment

I am not NOT a fan of cafe projects, but I have a very different idea of what that means from most of the people selling their "cafe" bikes. Too bad about the old 850, as it was a beautiful looking beast, but you seem to be doing alright by it.

Are you a painter by trade, or just a hobbyist?
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I am just a hobbyist and I enjoy bikes and vehicles as you can see by the old pickup in the picture! I believe in putting the time and money into my project to keep it worth its value. In other words, i dont skip any steps! I know everybody has their own opinions on projects and styles. I do like opinion and advice, i respect everybody elses opinions as well! I like to do things no one else has done and i like to stand.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is all when sanded down to 2500 and its waiting for a buff to shine
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X