New guy. First post. Carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy. First post. Carb problem

I tried to search and didn't really find what I was looking for. I have a 79 gs550. I bought it with pods and a Mac 4-1. It runs great and pulls hard to redline. The problems I have are the idle hanging up sometimes, and after it gets warm there seems to be fuel vapor coming from somewhere. It looks like between carbs two and three or three and four. Could the two be related? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM.

Might be. How are the hoses hooked up? Where is the vapor coming from exactly? And what jets are in the carbs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't know the jet sizes. I haven't had it apart since I bought it. The vapor looks like it's coming from one of the tubes connecting carbs 2&3 together. I was also just looking at basscliff and it seems that the last owner may have mixed up the carbs on the mounting plate. On my bike 3&4 have the vent tubes and 2 has the vacuum tube to the petcock.

Comment

That's incorrect, #3 should have the vacuum tube. The identical looking tube on #2 and #4 are float bowl vents. Some 550s have an odd setup, the air screw is on the left side of three carbs, instead of just two of them. This may have led someone to assemble them wrong. If they did this the tubes connecting the carbs together would be wrong.
        Does the vacuum line actually work? If it doesn't he could have just hooked the hoses up wrong. Better pull it all apart and see what's up. It's easy with pods.

Last the jetting, I have pods and pipe on my '79 550, running 105 main jets and the needles raised up. The last needle clip position wasn't enough, had to use thin washers to go even higher.
        This works well at 6,000' and up, it would be far too lean at sea level. You may need 110 or maybe 112.5, just a guess.

Comment

Thanks man. I'll tear into it and report back. If two of the carbs are mixed up will I need to re balance them?

Comment

Yes, but that's easy. Do it after you adjust the valve clearances. It's almost always neglected, if neglected it will cause burnt valves, and it will run better if it's done. Changing valve clearance will alter the carb balance.

What other maintenance have you done?

Actually have you seen Basscliff's site? It shows everything you need to maintain the bike properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmilly View Post
              On my bike 3&4 have the vent tubes and 2 has the vacuum tube to the petcock.
              Please make sure you are numbering the carbs correctly.

#1 is on the LEFT, as you sit on the bike. That means that #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok. It turns out that the vapor was oil from the breather on top of the cam cover. I didn't know it was there til i Pulled the tank. I'm guessing there originally was a hose that ran to the stock air box. Anyone else with pods care to share what they have done for a breather. I'd like to possibly put a filter on there.

Comment

Lots of varieties and makers of vent filters.
                  Get the best deals for k&n vent filter at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Lots of varieties and makers of vent filters.
                    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ilter&_sacat=0
                    I use the wee all chrome one. Seems to me the folks are steering you right. Idle hanging or creeping up indicates a lean condition, but for sure rule out something wrong with function before changing anything. It is nice to see someone else indicating similar needle height. I'm closer to sea level and I had to raise 'em higher than I expected. (pods+4-1)

Comment

Working...
                    X