Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain noise - GS1100GK '82

hi guys,

need help, i have a noise when idle and the tensioner is moving, when i accelerate it disappear and the tensioner stabilize.

so i serviced the tensioner, and same status.

so i check the 20 pitch length, as describe the manual, and the cam chain is under 157.8 mm. but I could see the cam chain is DID 219 FTS.

There are my questions:
    The limit length for this cam chain is the same as the manual standard?
    Do I have to worry?
    Can u give some recommendations?

thanks guys

Did you reset and reininstall tensioner correctly? This often confuses folks regarding lockscrew and locknut.

when you had tensioner out, did you check it manually to make that it could push out (by knob spring )out but not push back?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I follow the steps from bwringer and seems to be working for me... This is why I don't understand

Comment

It's very unlikely that your cam chain is worn out, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As Tom said, make sure that the tensioner can push out but can't be pushed back in.

If the tensioner is working correctly, the main thing that comes to mind is that you need to synchronize the carburetors so that the engine will run more smoothly. If the carburetors are not synchronized, the engine will be very noisy at idle and will smooth out at higher RPM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

thanks bwringer,

how can i synch the carbs? i saw an expensive tool to do it, is there an other cheapest way?

Comment

could it be the tensoiner guide?

Comment

Working...
            X