Air pods on Gs850 carb tuning and settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air pods on Gs850 carb tuning and settings

I just put airpods on my stock Gs850g and It is running very well for stock. Stock main jetting is 115 and it runs good till about 6 grand and then it seems as though it is not getting enough fuel on the top end. By reading many instructionals about carb tunning i believe i just have to change out the main jet. Im going from a 115 to a 120 or even a 122.5. I will adjust and shim the needle so it pulls well through the middle and leave the mixture screw alone for the most part. My main question is: If it is running good other than the top end, all i should have to change is main jet and maybe shim the needle up 1 space correct? Thanks- Lane

You need to do plug chops and check the color of the plugs at various throttle openings. What year is your bike? If you have the CV style carbs you need to get a jet kit from Dynojet to safeguard against burning valves etc from running lean. You can futz with the jets but in the end the needle design of the DJ kit is where the magic is. If you have the VM syle carbs from 79 you should still do plug chops. Pods represent a drastic change to the intake side of your engine and you need to be sure you are achieving the proper air fuel mix.

Edit: Ok you have a 1980 as evidenced from your intro post. Definitely get the Dynojet kit.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2015, 03:47 PM.

Comment

In your reading, did you notice stuff about the dynojet kit -different jets plus a needle designed to work with pods? What brand pods are you using?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This is the setup im running. i believe its CV carbs and i have no brand name on the pods. however i did make sure that they didnt block the idle air passages. also I have not looked at the dynojet kit yet
        Attached Files

Comment

Another shot to help deciffer it its VM carbs or CV
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
            You need to do plug chops and check the color of the plugs at various throttle openings. What year is your bike? If you have the CV style carbs you need to get a jet kit from Dynojet to safeguard against burning valves etc from running lean. You can futz with the jets but in the end the needle design of the DJ kit is where the magic is. If you have the VM syle carbs from 79 you should still do plug chops. Pods represent a drastic change to the intake side of your engine and you need to be sure you are achieving the proper air fuel mix.

Edit: Ok you have a 1980 as evidenced from your intro post. Definitely get the Dynojet kit.
            http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...50&item=DJ3306
            I see your link no to dynojet, Thank you!

Comment

Decades of experience here show that the Dynojet (or Factory) kit is the only way to make it run correctly

The stock needle taper doesn't respond well to airflow changes

The quality of the pods makes a difference, as well. Did you buy them off Ebay for $30?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think i got all 4 pod for around $60 and ill look into geting a dynojet kit. what jets and needles do i start with in that kit. Im at around 1400 to 1500 feet above sea level. it comes with 155, 160, and 165 main jets. any suggestions on the first set to put in it?

Comment

The Dynojet kits are designed for use with quality pods. You might find that you haven't saved anything by getting cheap pods. If you have your old air box, I would put it right back on and do whatever it takes to insure it functions correctly. The beauty of the 850 was smooth power delivery. It's not a hot rod and you can easily destroy it's best characteristics. You will not gain much of anything with pods on that bike. Elevation is not a consideration on your bike, CV carburetors self adjust for elevation changes unlike the VM carburetors on my bike.
                  Last edited by OldVet66; 06-25-2015, 01:25 PM.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Running pods and 4/1 on my 850L, no dynojet kit and what look like your pods. I went up 2 sizes on my mains and left everything else stock, synced and adjusted for best idle with the pilot screws. JMO.

I don't think that anyone that has seen that bike run can say that it is a slouch of any kind, and I have no performance issues..

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thank you for the input and ill take into consideration the airbox again. I'm doing it for more of the looks but I also want to run pods for a little more power. I have 115 in to for mains right now and i have 120s and 122.5s on their way so I'm going to test it ans see how it goes.
                      Again than you for the input all of you it is much appreciated!!
                      Thanks - Lane

Comment

1. You won't get more power with the pods than the stock air box without some serious tuning and fiddling....and dyno work.
                        2.Get rid of THOSE pod filters. They block the atmospheric ports on the intake side of the carbs, and make all the difficulties associated with pod filters worse. (don't believe me? Take one off and look at the rubber ridge that runs in side the boot) Here's a picture of the boot on a set of VM carbs:

See the ports they block?

The ports on the CV carbs like yours are even more important to the proper running of the bike. A Decent set of filters will have a boot shaped similar to a velocity stack (K&N and UNI), but for CV carbs that rely on a large still volume of air to operate the slides evenly, I would never recommend individual filters.....unless the look is more important than drivability and performance.
                        1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                        sigpic
                        My GS550 Build

Comment

Here she is all finished. I'm running the stock airbox currently as you can see and it runs very well. Ill look in to filters later on. I need to put a few miles on it and enjoy it before i start a head ache. Thank you for the input about the carbs and the boots, ill end jup messing with mine later on.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks great! Anymore pictures?

Originally posted by lbuwalda View Post
                            Here she is all finished. I'm running the stock airbox currently as you can see and it runs very well. Ill look in to filters later on. I need to put a few miles on it and enjoy it before i start a head ache. Thank you for the input about the carbs and the boots, ill end jup messing with mine later on.

Comment

Sure!! here are a few more!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X