• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to work:

Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks for getting my brain working again.... now I remember....
      I did basically the same thing a few years ago on a set of Dymag wheels that needed the bearings removed.
      They had special spacers in them, making it impossible to get bearings out, without destroying the spacers (unobtainable for about 20+ years)
      So I welded a bolt to the bearing and hammered it out with the bolt.

But I should get a real tool to do the work, and do it right...then I will always have it for the next project...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Looking forward to see how this turns out. I'm about to break into my triple trees and forks so I may have similar problems

Comment

That spacer is nothing more than a chunk of pipe. It will lean to one side and allow a flat blade screw driver to be used to drive the opposing bearing out and then bearing two is cake. Just did it yesterday on a front Goldwing tire.

The spacer isnt load bearing and its basically to guide the axle thru.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The spacers used in my Dymags would NOT move over, and they were more than a tube as in a stock wheel. (Multiple pieces machined and pressed together)
            Also they were made of aluminum and would/could be easily damaged. Plus the bearings were pressed in magnesium instead of aluminum, and I believe somewhat corroded together...making them even tighter.

Comment

I would make new spacer that wasnt a "worry" for when the next round happens. But thats just me.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just to check in to say I haven't given up on the GS..... Had other projects to work on (bought a bike for my girlfriend also..), but have been still been picking up parts when possible.
                Like the original paint tail section to match my tank
                Still have a pretty big list of parts that I want to get, as I am going a bit further on this than I originally planned....

When I get ready to start actually working on it again, I will start a build thread.

Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Finally starting the bikes own build thread....could be a long story before it's done.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE can you possibly take that tail section into your local shop and have them scan it and post up the mix code the computer generates?? I have been asking for a scan of some original paint for a while. I have a 78 1000C in the storage bin thats ready to step in line soon. Any help would be so gratefully appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X