No announcement yet.

GS550 with GSX-R Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've taken a look at this myself. Even procured a 600 Katana oil cooled motor for it. But, as others have mentioned, the GSX/Katana motor's are substantially narrower than the GS motors and taller. I was able to barely get it into the frame but the heads are so tall the engine had to be canted too far forward to get even think about getting the carbs on it. Frame cutting and welding is an absolute must. In addition, a custom spacer and sprocket would be a necessity. And it would be a rather long spacer to boot. But what really made me walk away was the carb issue. The newer engines intake angle is very steep hence the reason all the makers when to the perimeter frames so they had room to fit carbs on the engine. In this swap, the main top frame spar is in the way and would have to be radically altered or the engine radically lowered in the frame to make it work. IMO, you might as well build the frame from scratch and I certainly don't have that skill set.

So, I went the 550 with a 650 head swap. Cheap and easy. You'd be surprised how much quicker that setup is. No, it's no GSXR but it was plenty enough to make it a lot more interesting over the stock 550 setup without any real power mods.

Good luck.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Well I have a titled 83 550ES frame and a 94 Honda 600RR donation bike. We are going to see if the engine will fit as well as the forks and swing arm will be made to fit the ES. That would be going from 50hp to 120hp. Yes I expect to do a bit of bracing and such. Should be an interesting project. As Buffalo Bill says, some just like the challenge.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
        Well I have a titled 83 550ES frame and a 94 Honda 600RR donation bike. We are going to see if the engine will fit as well as the forks and swing arm will be made to fit the ES. That would be going from 50hp to 120hp. Yes I expect to do a bit of bracing and such. Should be an interesting project. As Buffalo Bill says, some just like the challenge.

V
        Being handy with a welder just goads one into taking on a project of this magnitude, doesn't it? I'll be watching with interest.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I would be interested in how that Honda engine works out. Do any of you guys know where I can get frame dimensions and the over dimensions (length, width, height) of some Suzuki motors? I tried finding them but didn't have any luck.

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X