• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, tom203.

I'll try try that out today.

Comment

Ok.

Tap won't get through to the threads. Not sure what the crankshaft is made out of but the tap I borrowed from O'Reilly's can't get in there. So I have to take the cases apart again, order yet another replacement crank, possibly order new bearings (depending on the numbers and letters on the crank/cases) and start over again.

I give up. I'm going to go out and buy a new motorcycle. I'll keep this bike and put it back together someday, but for now, I just need a bike that runs.

Well played, universe. You have defeated a normally strong and determined man.

Comment

No, don't give up! You've gone this far, might as well get it finished. Are you sure the threads on the crank aren't some other pitch, or are the threads just damaged? Do you have a measuring tool? I bought a HF tap and die set a long time ago that has come in handy, but I would at least get a thread pitch tool.
        1983 GS650G
        Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

image.jpgSo with rotor off , the o'reilly tap can't get a bite on the buggered thread? Crank is hardenned, but even a chinese tap should be able to grab it. Look at the chamfer angle on hole... 60 degrees included angle ?? Maybe try a angled stone in a drill like in attached pic.. Actually the included angle of stone should not be an issue- you just need to get that rotor bolt in there.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That borrowed O'Reilly's tap was probably crap to begin with(wore out) Get a new tap. Take the bolt to a decent hardware store and have it matched up. Tell them you want a starter tap or plug tap preferably the starter tap. Or heck, tell me what size tap you need and I'll send you one out for free. Good luck👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for the support, guys.

I'm gonna take a little time off before diving back in. I've got a lot going on over the next two weeks. Kid's graduating high school next week so I've got some family related things to attend to anyways. I'll keep you informed on what I decide to do when I get past the next couple weeks.

Comment

I just acquired a 1982 GS650L. Can I add to this thread, or should I start a new one? I'd like opinions on how the engine sounds, and have made a YouTube "video" that is mostly audio of the engine being cold-started and then warmed up.

Comment

Best to start your own thread, so not to confuse us old folks. I skipped the video as youtubing wanted a signin.
                  new to you 650 shafty? Note that this critter uses plain main bearings - and therefor requires higher oil pressure. Unpleasant noises are to be avoided.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll start another thread tonight. In the meantime, YouTube seemed to have set it back to Private, so I changed it, once again, to Public. It should be accessible now.

Comment

Well I'm back. I've been out of town for the past six months for work, but I'm in town for a couple of weeks so I decided to try to fix her one last time. I'd left off with a fully sealed crankcase, but a crankshaft that would not accept the bolt in the end. I'd rented a tap set from Napa and could not get it to bite. I was going to take the whole thing back apart and had already ordered yet another crankshaft, but in the meantime I hunted down a new 12x1.25 tap and gave it a try and it worked. Cleaned out the threads of the crankshaft and didn't have to take the engine apart again. Thank god.

Over the following days I put the bike back together. Here she is.

Now before I try to start her up I figured I'd run through my checklist and make sure when I start her up I don't do any more damage. because I don't think I have the patience to go through this again.

-I put moly paste on all journals on the crankcase, crankshaft, camshafts, and rods.
                      -I put in a gallon of oil, though it looks like it's a bit too much as I can't see the top of the oil level iin the window, so I'll drain some out until I do.
                      -Battery is good. It's been sitting on a tender.
                      -All wiring is hooked up. Blinkers work etc.
                      -fuel lines are connected
                      -Checked my valve clearances. All are within spec except for one which is at .10 so I will need to order a 2.75 shim. (Should I wait to start it up until I have that correct shim? I kind of want to make sure it runs before ordering any more parts.)
                      -Carbs are all connected and clamps tightened.
                      -I've got some gas in the tank that's 6 months old. Should I empty the gas and fill it up with new gas?
                      -I have some starting fluid that I'll be ready to use just in case she needs it.

That's about it. Wish me luck. I'd like to try to start her up today as an early Christmas present.

Comment

Other than saying that your .10 clearance on that 1 valve will be fine, I don't have any other advice for you. I've never torn down an engine. I do wish you luck, though!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Well, I started her up. A little starter fluid went a long way. I’d like to say I’m pretty excited, but there are a few things that are bothering me.

1- I can hear a dreaded tapping sound and I'm immediately getting PTSD flashbacks of worn down rod bearings. If that's the case, this bike is over as I'm not breaking it all the way down a fourth time.

2- Gas is leaking from all four carbs. I didn't do anything to the carburetors when I removed them, so it may be that I just didn't connect something properly. All of the clamps are pretty well tightened down. The gas looks like it is leaking not at the top of the carbs, but finding a way out of the carbs somewhere around the middle and pouring onto the crankcase. I might try just loosening and re-tightening all the clamps on on both sides of the carbs.

3- Oil is leaking from the signal generator cover. It looks like there's a hole there (possibly for oil overflow?) I had let some oil out, but maybe I hadn’t let out enough.

That’s about it. I’m going to stop for the day. I was hoping to be celebrating with a Christmas ride today, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen until I can figure out a few of these issues.

Comment

You might get lucky and the gas will swell a couple o-rings and stop one of the leaks but it sounds like a carb rebuild with new o-rings is in order.

I also would change the engine oil if it is "infected' with gas.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

As to tapping noise..... are you sure that you understood how to insert and release the camchain tensioner gizmo so it can push out against the chain? Doublecheck camshafts to crankshaft timing.. a couple teeth off and a valve might be kissing a piston.
                              The carbs will need attention even if this leaking stops.. bike will start and run poorly with clogged passages.
                              the oil seal on crank behind signal generator plate might just be dried up
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X