Brand new powder coated tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new powder coated tank question

For the powder coat experts - spent many hours blasting, sanding and prepping my tank and had it costed flat matte black. Got it home, had some surface rust inside from the phosphorous (?) adhesion promoter that the coater used. I filled it with apple cider vinegar for several days and wasn't overly concerned about spills as I was under the impression that it was fairly impervious.

Well it's not, small droplets remain and then I spilled gas on it when I filled it up after draining the vinegar (which worked great on the rust) and changed it to a slightly glossier around the neck.

What can I use to clean it without damaging it further:

Should I spill has on th whole thing to make the surface even if it can't be cleaned? Simple green didn't work

Some shots of the prep and finished product before the spill:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

That's odd, I have tested my PCed stuff in gasoline for days, brake fluid for days, even in the dip for a while, it came through it all fine. Sandblaster barely touches it.

I would ask the guy who did the work what to do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I plan on asking him - figured I'd consult the experts here first to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I went back on forth on paint vs. powder for a while figured if I was going to take it down to bare metal that I may as well pony up for the most durable finish.

Perhaps it's the matte vs. gloss being more durable. Have you done much flat or matte?
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Some flat, more matte, and a lot of satin. The glossy stuff is too hard to get right, takes too much prep.

Did you try soap and water? It kind of looks like something slimy on top of the paint, it might just wash off?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Did you try soap and water? It kind of looks like something slimy on top of the paint, it might just wash off?

Yep. Dawn, simple green and some watered down isopropyl alcohol. It dulled it down a little more since I took the photo but it's still there. Maybe I just need to keep after it.

Comment

Working...
          X