Anyone with Goldwing experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
    I have a '77 that I've modified a bit. Very cool bike to own. Smooth, quiet, comfy. My only complaint is the carbs. They were crap right off the show floor. Mine stumbles off idle horribly. Never have been able to fix it, even with a total rebuild. If I "launch" it in 1st gear it's fine and runs great once underway. Sounds like Radaak and Chuck have a solution, though.

Wow, now that's what I'm talkin about!

A mild custom without the cafe thing. Just a nice interpretation of the original bike.

Here's a pic of my '75:

That goofy fairing has to come off, and I already have Daytona bars and bigger/taller mirrors to put on. And that yellow headlight?... some people's kids...
    Attached Files

Comment

I rode my buddies 83 gl1100 today. It's not fully dressed but it does have a fairing. definitely a little too car like for me. does anyone know how the 1100 compares to the 1000? I know it will be a lot different without the fairing but does it make the bike more raw? It's a lot different than my GSes

Comment

Ecklund, I actually like the bikini fairing on yours. Makes it look a bit R90Sque, which is a cool look. Love the color on yours.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
          I rode my buddies 83 gl1100 today. It's not fully dressed but it does have a fairing. definitely a little too car like for me. does anyone know how the 1100 compares to the 1000? I know it will be a lot different without the fairing but does it make the bike more raw? It's a lot different than my GSes
          Not sure the GL is a bike for you if you want "raw." It has always been a refined machine with good manners. Damned fine bike.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Hers a cheap one to get into a dresser...tires, go thru the crabs, a seat cover and a few other little tiddy ups...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
              ...a little too car like...
              That was exactly the first criticism I heard in 1975. "Too smooth...like a car."

I didn't want to ask, but one day I found out my buddy wanted to try my Z1 as much as I wanted to try his new Wing. We both came back with smiles.

The original 1000 was the only one I ever rode, but that Valkyrie sure looks interesting.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If its the redone and youre getting another GS thrown into the deal..what you waiting for?? Thats the OEM paint job and its got the bag racks and a LOT of add on period stuff..I would be all over that deal. Bet he has some wiggle room too.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Eckland...Guys over at NGW CLUB forum say mines worth around 2 grand minimum. They are the go to gurus as far as what the current trends are. I got mine cheap because the guy didnt know what he had in the first place and the fuel was flowing into the intake plenum and he didnt want to tear into the carbs.

He had already purchased the master rebuild kit ( $200.00 dollar kit ) and gave that to me with the bike. All I had to do was dip and rebuild the carbs and it was running the next night after i got it home.

Link to original thread...

Comment

The more I look at the 1st gen Wing, the more I wonder whether it might not be a great touring sled for my designs.

Looking at SuperSkyPilot's B-Girl thread at goldwingfacts.com makes it an especially appealing thought.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

welll..........did you.pull the trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Ecklund, I actually like the bikini fairing on yours. Makes it look a bit R90Sque, which is a cool look. Love the color on yours.
                        Looks like I'll get to go home October 1st for a bit.

Hoping to put on some taller shocks, Daytona handle bars and maybe even fatten up the seat some.

I have to say the bike is way faster than I thought. I guess most liter sized bikes without all the fairing crap would be fairly quick.

Who puts a yellow head light in a bike though...?

A liter sized BMW airhead would be very nice. They are getting pretty pricey though...
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          That was exactly the first criticism I heard in 1975. "Too smooth...like a car."

I didn't want to ask, but one day I found out my buddy wanted to try my Z1 as much as I wanted to try his new Wing. We both came back with smiles.

The original 1000 was the only one I ever rode, but that Valkyrie sure looks interesting.
                          Everyone has their idea of what smooth is. But in '75 the standard bikes were Harleys and British twins. Of course the GL1000 was thought to be smooth. And it is too. Just not a car. Naked ones are really very fun bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Eckland...Guys over at NGW CLUB forum say mines worth around 2 grand minimum. They are the go to gurus as far as what the current trends are. I got mine cheap because the guy didnt know what he had in the first place and the fuel was flowing into the intake plenum and he didnt want to tear into the carbs.

He had already purchased the master rebuild kit ( $200.00 dollar kit ) and gave that to me with the bike. All I had to do was dip and rebuild the carbs and it was running the next night after i got it home.

Link to original thread...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...L1000+Goldwing
                            Agreed. The NGW site has some very interesting current past build threads. One guy is doing a supercharged build currently. Very interesting.

I have to say that this is the big difference between the bike groups. GS bikes were raced in large numbers and performance info and parts are readily available. There is precious little info on performance improvement for the GL1000. Different bike I understand, but one of the biggest draws for me to the GS was the large performance segment of the GS group.

The NGW site has quite a few 'cafe' threads. Not my thing, but interesting ideas on cosmetics and also lots about keeping those GL bikes on the road.

$300 for a decent GL1000 including the $200 rebuild kit? And now its worth $2K? A very nice find of a really very nice bike Chuck.

Comment

I got the master carb kit, the screw on style oil filter adaper, a master seried carb rebuild DVD, and a factory service manual with the bike..$300.00 for it all. When I went to Randazz site to check the cost of the extras it was something like 350ish!! So I got more just in the goodies than i paid for the entire shootin match...LOL

I cant biitch one bit about the deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                                I got the master carb kit, the screw on style oil filter adaper, a master seried carb rebuild DVD, and a factory service manual with the bike..$300.00 for it all. When I went to Randazz site to check the cost of the extras it was something like 350ish!! So I got more just in the goodies than i paid for the entire shootin match...LOL

I cant biitch one bit about the deal!!!!
                                Sometimes a guy gets a deal like this but its for a bike that's not very appealing. From my side the GL1000 is a bike that is very close to what motorcycling is all about. A great deal on a great bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X