Anyone with Goldwing experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
    Looks like I'll get to go home October 1st for a bit.

Hoping to put on some taller shocks, Daytona handle bars and maybe even fatten up the seat some.

I have to say the bike is way faster than I thought. I guess most liter sized bikes without all the fairing crap would be fairly quick.

Who puts a yellow head light in a bike though...?

A liter sized BMW airhead would be very nice. They are getting pretty pricey though...
    Yeah, the big airheads are becoming rather dear. I'm also quite taken with the Guzzi Bassa, Jackal, etc. I used to hate the look of the Californias; now I like it, and those bikes flat out work. I love the older stuff. A friend suggested I consider an FJR. He has one, and it's a stellar machine, but when it comes to 1300s, my mind runs to the KZ1300. I'd grab one of those in a heartbeat if it came up at the right time.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thats the crappy part..they either come up when you dont have the money or you DO have the cash and milleniums can go by and nothing shows up!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Yeah, the big airheads are becoming rather dear. I'm also quite taken with the Guzzi Bassa, Jackal, etc. I used to hate the look of the Californias; now I like it, and those bikes flat out work. I love the older stuff. A friend suggested I consider an FJR. He has one, and it's a stellar machine, but when it comes to 1300s, my mind runs to the KZ1300. I'd grab one of those in a heartbeat if it came up at the right time.
        I just watched a Youtube on a guy that goes over his KZ1300. What a beast. Bags of torque and of course heavy as ****. Probably a very roomy bike. It would be cool to have a straight six engine bike.

Those BMW K1600 bikes look very attractive and that six is one reason why. The FJR is probably an excellent bike. Its probably wrong to have just one motorcycle, right?

I've seen couple customs based on the older big Guzzi bikes. Very nice.

Comment

Yeah, they do come up when you have no cash. I found a KZ1300 recently, out of state, not running but in what looked to be solid shape (although with all the fairing stuff that would have to be pulled off) for $1500. But then it would have to be shipped, and then begins the rebuilding of carbs, ignition, etc.. It just wasn't to be, but that is a bike I think I can afford. That said, an '81 CBx with the Hondaline fairing and bags, which is the way I truly love the CBx, popped up not long ago in running shape for $4,000. Oh, and so did a CX500 Turbo. I love those things.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah, they do come up when you have no cash. I found a KZ1300 recently, out of state, not running but in what looked to be solid shape (although with all the fairing stuff that would have to be pulled off) for $1500. But then it would have to be shipped, and then begins the rebuilding of carbs, ignition, etc.. It just wasn't to be, but that is a bike I think I can afford. That said, an '81 CBx with the Hondaline fairing and bags, which is the way I truly love the CBx, popped up not long ago in running shape for $4,000. Oh, and so did a CX500 Turbo. I love those things.
            Mmm, CBX. The non-mono shock ones are getting very pricey. The mono-shock ones with the fairings are cool, but then we are kind of back to an FJR type bike.

Turbo CX. Now there's Honda with a bike looking for a market. But the unique factor is enough to want one.

Your list of maintenance, mods, upgrades to get a bike from that era to take advantage of the technological progress and its related costs is exactly right. That $1500 KZ1300 becomes a $3000 bike very quickly once the process starts. Also true about transport too. A few extras like some decent shocks and with transport its now a $4K bike. And a cool bike that fits you and is reliable at $4K is fine. But it aint $1500.

Comment

I always loved the CBx with the fairing more. It was less raw, true, but I think it is beautiful. When I was a teenager, I worked summers at a Honda autoshop, busting tires, doing oil changes, etc. My boss owned both a faired CBx and a CX500 Turbo. I loved both bikes. He was a psycho rider, but eventually, due to awareness of mortality, put the bikes in the shop on display. I spent far too many hours drooling over them.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Those BMW K1600 bikes look very attractive and that six is one reason why.
                I rode behind one of those last summer for a fast few miles. I was straining to keep up with him at 110-115 mph and I could tell he wasn't breaking a sweat.

Cycle World said it might be the perfect motorcycle engine - completely self balancing.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I rode behind one of those last summer for a fast few miles. I was straining to keep up with him at 110-115 mph and I could tell he wasn't breaking a sweat.

Cycle World said it might be the perfect motorcycle engine - completely self balancing.
                  Oh man, don't tell me that... I'm already jonzin for one.

Trevor has the K1300; also seems very nice, except for maybe the riding position. Now a roadster version of the K1600... Mmmm

Comment

Oh man, don't tell me that... I'm already jonzin for one.
                    Then you'd better stay away from what Cycle World has to say about them. Hint - all good. Better than good.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I always loved the CBx with the fairing more. It was less raw, true, but I think it is beautiful. When I was a teenager, I worked summers at a Honda autoshop, busting tires, doing oil changes, etc. My boss owned both a faired CBx and a CX500 Turbo. I loved both bikes. He was a psycho rider, but eventually, due to awareness of mortality, put the bikes in the shop on display. I spent far too many hours drooling over them.
                      One of Leno's garage episodes on Youtube features his '81? CBX. Really nice bike. Of course he rides it and even at 34 years old the bike still looks to be a great bike. Sort of an ancestor to the K1600.

Comment

I watched that episode. I enjoy that short program. It's Leno at his best.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Ecklund, I actually like the bikini fairing on yours. Makes it look a bit R90Sque, which is a cool look. Love the color on yours.
                          The side covers on the original GL1000 are so big as to be out of balance with the rest of the bike. The black paint for the side covers reduces their impact so the focus of the bike is the tank and motor. I've seen a few GLs that use this technique; makes a more balanced looking bike to my eye.

Same with the full length seat. Some of the cafe GLs look a bit odd to me with such a short seat. A longer seat and exhaust give some balance to the longish wheel base bike.

Still needs some mods, but I'm going to hook it up to the sidecar so I can take my two daughters, 4 and 2, for rides when I get back.

Painting the sidecar to match the GL tank when I can get to it. Maybe a black and white checkerboard strip on the nose of the sidecar...

As an aside; I saw a '78 R100 for $1500. Not a wreck but certainly would take a bit of work/$ for it to be a road bike.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I agree, the side panels on the GL1000 make it look like it should waddle, but I've seen amazing custom GL1000's that use color to hide the chubby waistline, so your fondness of dark side panels makes good aesthetic sense.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I agree, the side panels on the GL1000 make it look like it should waddle, but I've seen amazing custom GL1000's that use color to hide the chubby waistline, so your fondness of dark side panels makes good aesthetic sense.
                              The second gen GL1000s have a similar/same frame but have smaller side panels. I've seen some very nice custom second gen GLs. I not a fan of the comstar wheels. A nice set of stock first gen wire spoke wheels would be good replacements.

Your description of the bike looking like it waddles from those over large side covers is exactly right.

Comment

If you get a chance check out Youtube R100 custom. Large number of modded R100 bikes.

Interesting bikes in general and unlike the GL1000 they have a good high performance and racing history/background so like the GS, engine mods are well understood.

I like the idea of painting the side plate black and the tank a different color. I'm going to try it on my GS1100e. The tail section is pretty bad off and needs paint anyway. The side covers, under seat sections and tail section all in gloss black. Leave the tank as is - well minus the decals. Not sure about the front fender though. Needs help in any case. Back or...? Hmmm.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X