Oil Filter Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Plate

I had a problem while changing the oil filter on my 82 GS850G. Three nuts on the cover plate...two were just an acorn nut...one was a bolt that came all the way out. I thought that was odd, but continued anyway. When putting them back on, one of the acorn nuts just spun and would not tighten and will not loosen either. It just spins both ways. Does anyone have any suggestions on how do get it back out?

It finally stopped raining and now I cant ride.....

Grab the acorns with needle nosed vice grips tight enough to get ahold but not crush them. Pull out forcefully and turn at the same time. Gonna take some patience but they will come off. If that doesnt work jam a flat tip in between the cover and nut and then pull and twist with the Vgrips as you pry with the screw driver

Once they are off inspect the studs to see if the threads on them are gone. Usually its just the nuts. Those acorns are cheaply made. I would just use a 10MM head nut and a washer to replace them with.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No luck with the vice grips or trying to get something underneath. That Acorn nut just keeps on spinning. I am considering cutting it down with a dremel tool. I was hoping to avoid that so I don't accidentally damage any threads.

Comment

Originally posted by robs View Post
        I was hoping to avoid that so I don't accidentally damage any threads.
        No big deal if you do, those studs just unscrew, it's probably time to replace them anyway. Any decent hardware store will have the right size studs.

I prefer regular nuts, lock washer on a flat washer, but Nylock or anything else will do. The original Suzuki nuts are very soft.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The studs will screw right out of the case, unless a previous owner screwed that up. You can buy replacement studs from Suzuki or a good hardware store.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Bolts and washers are not a good idea for something that gets removed and reinstalled routinely, it puts a lot more wear and tear on the threads in the engine case. Just replace the studs correctly and forget about it for another 35 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Bolts and washers are not a good idea for something that gets removed and reinstalled routinely, it puts a lot more wear and tear on the threads in the engine case. Just replace the studs correctly and forget about it for another 35 years or so.
              Good point, Tom. I wasn't thinking...

I revised my previous post to delete that suggestion.

Comment

It would work in a pinch but not a good permanent repair.

Comment

Take a stud out and go to Auto Zone with it. Tell them youre looking for METRIC EXHAUST FLANGE STUDS. Red Loctite them in the block.. We had to do this on my nephews bike.

And I agree on not using bolts. Steel going in and out all the time against the softer aluminum is a bad idea. Grinds up the threads real quick.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

NOTE...Studs will have a small nut forged at the end for inserting into the cars block. Its smaller than the threads. Just grind that off, double nut the stud, and insert the new studs.

Comment

Your Suzuki dealer still carries the original studs. I just bought a set.

Comment

I had a similar problem. Hopefully you will have it fixed soon.

Comment

Finally got that frustrating little nut off a few weeks ago. Had to break down and cut the nut with a dremel until I got to the stud and had some leverage. Thanks for the helpful info guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X