Rear Tire Removal / Front Sprocket Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire Removal / Front Sprocket Removal

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. A few months ago I picked up a 1981 GS550T. I've been slowly rebuilding it, lurking on these fourms all the time which has been a great help.

The rebuild part I'm up to is replacing the rear tire, chain, and sprockets.

I already have all the parts, but I'm just a little lost when it comes to rear tire removal.

It looks as if I have to disconnect the rear shocks (at the top or bottom?) so the swing arm can move (up or down?) so the rear axle can clear the exhaust and come out. Is this the correct procedure? Or is there another way I'm just completely missing? Any tips you'd guys have on this procedure, I'd really appreciate it.

As for the front sprocket, I've read on here that it is a 32mm nut, but is it reverse threaded or standard? I don't wanna go applying huge amounts of torque taking it off and turning it the wrong way....

Thanks for your time and help

Mike

Loosen the chain by dropping the chain adjusters down and pushing the axle forward, slide the chain off to the outside of the sprocket, remove the vertical bolts that hold the chain adjusters (the block the adjuster bolt pushes on) into the swingarm, the axle and wheel can slide out the back.

You might have to remove the chain guard to get the chain off the sprocket.

Countershaft nut is normal right hand thread.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Loosen the chain by dropping the chain adjusters down and pushing the axle forward, slide the chain off to the outside of the sprocket, remove the vertical bolts that hold the chain adjusters (the block the adjuster bolt pushes on) into the swingarm, the axle and wheel can slide out the back.

You might have to remove the chain guard to get the chain off the sprocket.

Countershaft nut is normal right hand thread.

Wow that was really quick, and sounds surprisingly easy. I will try this out tonight. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
      X