Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ez and cheap rust removal from chrome ?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used rear cargo rack from eBay for my old gs850g. As expected there is a little rust on the chrome. I have heard that one can use cola and aluminium foil to remove rust. (Supposedly by pouring soda on the part the running with aluminium foil.)

Is this legit ?

WD-40 and aiuminum foil works too. We cleaned up my daughter's rusty bicycle with it last week. Not perfect but pretty darned good for something that only takes a few minutes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use vinegar and water with the foil. Works well. No need to force it, there is a chemical reaction going on and it dissolves off with light sustained scrubbing. Top off with a bit of polish to delay it's reappearance.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

You might try immersing the rack in Evaporust, removes the rust quite well.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Naval Jelly. Never trusted the foil wouldnt dull or make micro scratches on chrome. Get the Naval Jelly at Lowes or Home Depot.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You don't have to worry about scratching the chrome, it is way harder than the hardest steel. Chrome is plated onto steel in severe wear applications because it is so hard to prevent wear. I like to use any thing like WD40 or oil. Then use steel wool, even an old brillo pad with soap in it and oil works great. After you are finished it will rust again unless you seal it, wax meant for car paint will seal it.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Aluminum foil WILL scratch chrome. I know this from first hand experience. If the chrome is dulled out and real rusty you may not notice though. If you want a pristine finish when finished, do not use aluminum foil.

Regular old Turtle Wax chrome cleaner works well. If there is a lot of rust then something to soak the part in is recommended. Navel jelly and the like is phosphoric acid and will eat the rust. It will also pit the chrome slightly too.

Best stuff I've found that won't hurt the chrome is EvapoRust. It's expensive though. Second best stuff is oxalic acid. Most deck cleaning products are oxalic acid. I was turned on to this stuff by the bicycle restoration guys, who swear by the stuff. Fill a garbage can with water and mix in some of the cleaning product and dunk your part. In a day or two the rust will be gone and the chrome won't be damaged. I've done all kinds of parts in this stuff and it works a treat. Good stuff.

Last edited by Nessism; 07-22-2015, 03:47 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

^^ that's right. and even if it isn't actually the aluminum doing it, it's the flakes of chrome and rust trapped in the aluminum as you rub it in.

Comment

I've always used steel wool and Brasso.

Comment

Molasses and water but it has to be immersed and takes a week or more. You can take your own container and get bulk molasses at some farm stores.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Brasso and a toothbrush works well, shines and doesn't scratch as well as leaving a protective coating.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

If you are getting scratches in chrome when it is cleaned up something harder than the chrome has to be the culprit. On the Rockwell C scale steel wool is about 30, and chrome is about 70. Aluminum is so soft they dont even measure it on the same scale. Scratches might already be there, or something hard gets into the mix. I dont know the hardness of rust, it might be a factor. Brasso is a great product too. Sealing it up with wax so it wont rust in the future is very important.
                          1981 GS1100E
                          1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have many chrome parts that need help. Can turn signals be dipped whole?
                            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Aluminum foil WILL scratch chrome. I know this from first hand experience. If the chrome is dulled out and real rusty you may not notice though. If you want a pristine finish when finished, do not use aluminum foil.

Regular old Turtle Wax chrome cleaner works well. If there is a lot of rust then something to soak the part in is recommended. Navel jelly and the like is phosphoric acid and will eat the rust. It will also pit the chrome slightly too.

Best stuff I've found that won't hurt the chrome is EvapoRust. It's expensive though. Second best stuff is oxalic acid. Most deck cleaning products are oxalic acid. I was turned on to this stuff by the bicycle restoration guys, who swear by the stuff. Fill a garbage can with water and mix in some of the cleaning product and dunk your part. In a day or two the rust will be gone and the chrome won't be damaged. I've done all kinds of parts in this stuff and it works a treat. Good stuff.

Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I would start with SOS brand (specifically) steel wool pads. They work wonders on rusty chrome. Not Brillo or any other type, SOS pads only with lots of water.
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                              X