1980 GS850 Carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 Carb issue

I got the bike in December it was never running 100%, after clening the carbs i discovered the previous owned had put a DynoJet kit stage 3, going from 115 main jets to 165, huge jump, I've been trying to do a trial and error since the bike is running extremely rich and my spark plus get fouled really fast.

I tried going down to 150 main jets, and 140, still running like crap.

I want to go back to 2 over on the main jets, i want to know if Suzuki goes up 2.5 or 5 increments?

stock is 115, should I go to 120, or 125?

Your choice of color for your font is very hard to read.

Has the intake and/or exhaust system been modified?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Are you running pods instead of stock airbox? If so, What brand?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yes it has pod filters and 4 into 1 exhaust

Comment

Also, be aware that DJ jets and Mikuni jets aren't numbered the same. A 165 DJ jet is not necessarily a "huge" incremental change.

Comment

the pods are K&G

Comment

Yes DynoJet 165 equals 155 Mikuni I made sure I checked that, thanks

Comment

Two steps up on the mains aught to do it for ya. You might have to adjust the needle clips down a notch or two. Adjust for lean best idle on the pilots. Should get you close.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

You will need to go up more than two sizes. I am up four sizes (125) on my 850. I have a very quiet (read that as 'restrictive') four-into-one pipe and a K&N insert in a stock sirbox.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found out today that i did NOT have carb rubber plugs that might be an issue when going any higher than 4000 RPM

Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/suzuki-gs110...-/351462124604

also have a vacuum leak on one of my intake manifold boots

Here:http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=13110-49000x4

im gonna try and get the plugs and get hardware store hose clamp since the original clamps are stretched out and are maxed out when i tighten them

Comment

Originally posted by fer_gloko View Post
                      im gonna try and get the plugs and get hardware store hose clamp since the original clamps are stretched out and are maxed out when i tighten them
                      The clamps are not stretched out -- the problem is that the intake boots have hardened and shrunk.

Also, there are no hardware store clamps narrow enough to fit correctly.

You can't repair or halfass intake boots; you have to replace them and their o-rings.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                      X