No announcement yet.

Best all in one bike or too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance and capability like this for under $6K. Yumm.

I haven't looked because I didn't want to know, but I assume someone makes handlebar risers and foot peg lowering mounts too.

How's the felt vibration?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
      Performance and capability like this for under $6K. Yumm.

I haven't looked because I didn't want to know, but I assume someone makes handlebar risers and foot peg lowering mounts too.

How's the felt vibration?
      Yes I put Heli bar risers on mine and it made a huge difference. Vibration for me is no issue.
      My cousin that was just here from Ontario has a 2008 Concours at home that he has owned since new. He has been riding for 50 years. He rode my k1300r for over 500kms all all kinds of roads and speeds and said he would trade bikes in a heart beat. And loves his connie. He said that the lightness and maneuverability was much better on the BMW. He even said he might look for one when he gets home.
      Another thing is these bikes get amazing gas mileage.
      Here is a great place to find out more..it's just a pity you can't get your hands on a 1300r

Cheers
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Yes I put Heli bar risers on mine and it made a huge difference. Vibration for me is no issue.
        My cousin that was just here from Ontario has a 2008 Concours at home that he has owned since new. He has been riding for 50 years. He rode my k1300r for over 500kms all all kinds of roads and speeds and said he would trade bikes in a heart beat. And loves his connie. He said that the lightness and maneuverability was much better on the BMW. He even said he might look for one when he gets home.
        Another thing is these bikes get amazing gas mileage.
        Here is a great place to find out more..it's just a pity you can't get your hands on a 1300r

Cheers
        The Concours has had the rep for being slow handling. But in general its a reasonable comparison.

Good to hear that vibration is not an issue as the K1600 six is probably a very smooth motor indeed.

I'm sure the 1300 has advantages. But as the 1200 has been around for a while I think I might be able to find one with the adjustable suspension for the mid $5Ks once it gets a bit colder.

Now all I have to do is get another contract ...

Will check out the link.

Comment

Ecklund, Id recommend a B-King if your only going to commute for short distances... I got off the saddle for it was just not practical. Luggage options are near non existent. No center stand for chain or tire maintenance... I could write a review... Maybe I should. It's not that great for a standard. Top heavy too.

I'm youngish (31) and now run a Connie 14 now, sure it's not the fastest, but it's uber comfy, Perfect for VT roads with it's plush suspension(set on low). Turn the dial and she hugs the road like it's her job. It's heavy but after a bike bonding course I feel more capable on the slow and sharp stuff then with the BK. Drop the cases, run with half a tank of gas and windshield low and she's a frickin rocket that keeps right up in the twisites and straights. Like a Saturn V rocket; huge, powerful but purposeful. It can get away from you, seen +130mph without thinking. VVT and Ram-air really helps the bike develop it 100ft/lbs of torque all over the band. More options then the space shuttle, it really is a poor man's BMW. I wasn't sold until I rode one... Now I think, why the hell did I deprive myself for so long? I'm still youngish and like to go fast, get the rush of acceleration and romp my friends bikes, I get that with the Connie 14, there just a little bigger in the mirrors . As fast as the BK? no but it's definitely up there on the fastest bikes I've ridden, especially on a cool day completely unloaded. It is the Nicest bike I've ever owned or ridden... Built perfectly.

Don't discount the Connie 14 until you ride one.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Ecklund, Id recommend a B-King if your only going to commute for short distances... I got off the saddle for it was just not practical. Luggage options are near non existent. No center stand for chain or tire maintenance... I could write a review... Maybe I should. It's not that great for a standard. Top heavy too.

I'm youngish (31) and now run a Connie 14 now, sure it's not the fastest, but it's uber comfy, Perfect for VT roads with it's plush suspension(set on low). Turn the dial and she hugs the road like it's her job. It's heavy but after a bike bonding course I feel more capable on the slow and sharp stuff then with the BK. Drop the cases, run with half a tank of gas and windshield low and she's a frickin rocket that keeps right up in the twisites and straights. Like a Saturn V rocket; huge, powerful but purposeful. It can get away from you, seen +130mph without thinking. VVT and Ram-air really helps the bike develop it 100ft/lbs of torque all over the band. More options then the space shuttle, it really is a poor man's BMW. I wasn't sold until I rode one... Now I think, why the hell did I deprive myself for so long? I'm still youngish and like to go fast, get the rush of acceleration and romp my friends bikes, I get that with the Connie 14, there just a little bigger in the mirrors . As fast as the BK? no but it's definitely up there on the fastest bikes I've ridden, especially on a cool day completely unloaded. It is the Nicest bike I've ever owned or ridden... Built perfectly.

Don't discount the Connie 14 until you ride one.
            Well said.

Nice comments. Within the small universe we've set up here comparing all-rounder type bikes and highlighting the K1600, your suggestion that the Connie not be dismissed is very valid.

If having a fairing is a necessity, many think the opposite, then the Connie has to be a low cost alternative to the K1600.

Great engine and covers a lot of what motorcycling is. I can't say having a Connie as 'the' all-round bike would be wrong especially when cost is in the mix. And when isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Except anything else half their weight.

Only one bike and it's going to be something quick and nimble. KTM 690 with dirt and Supermoto wheels maybe.
              The RGS is super comfy and can cruise superslab for hours, can handle fire roads or worse (if you're insane or insanely skilled), is pretty damned quick and fast, and carries a pillion and luggage far better than that KTM.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                The RGS is super comfy and can cruise superslab for hours, can handle fire roads or worse (if you're insane or insanely skilled), is pretty damned quick and fast, and carries a pillion and luggage far better than that KTM.
                In my eight beer condition I would add my 2 cents to the implied thought that while a heavy bike certainly has some serious flaws, it can also commonly come with a really nice motor and work better in cross winds than a light bike.

Its completely a personal bias, I accept that, but an old trail bike is just so much better off road than even a really great multifunction bike. I would argue for a cheap trail/enduro/dual sport bike and a road bike with a brilliant motor.

Yes, that violates the one bike/all round bike thing, but eh...

I still have a serious chubby for a K1600 gtl.

Comment

No signature

Comment

OMG

Soooo Ugly... I knew I shouldn't have checked this thread under the influence...

LOL J/K Trev... Kinda
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

OMG

Soooo Ugly... I knew I shouldn't have checked this thread under the influence...

LOL J/K Trev... Kinda
                      lol...ohhh but look at that inline 6!!
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                        Trevor, Imagine how fast your bike would be if your engine wasn't laying down on the job. Looks like its asleep. Could be Lazy Cylinder Syndrome.

Lol...you're right, never thought of that.
                        No signature

Comment

We we're behind a K1600 last Sunday. The six hole exhaust layout was something I hadn't seen before. The driver and passenger were having a great time bee bopping about to some music that they were clearly sharing.

My wife leaned forward on the FZ1 and said "What bike is that, Boy that looks comfortable". She said the same thing when we came up on a fast moving FJR. I told her the FJR was a possibility but a bike the size of the K1600 was at least 10 years in our future. Elon Musk will have something big, fast, two wheeled, and electric by then.

Comment

lol...ohhh but look at that inline 6!!
                            Ahhh, well I couldn't tell, the duck face was distracting me...
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                              We we're behind a K1600 last Sunday. The six hole exhaust layout was something I hadn't seen before. The driver and passenger were having a great time bee bopping about to some music that they were clearly sharing.

My wife leaned forward on the FZ1 and said "What bike is that, Boy that looks comfortable". She said the same thing when we came up on a fast moving FJR. I told her the FJR was a possibility but a bike the size of the K1600 was at least 10 years in our future. Elon Musk will have something big, fast, two wheeled, and electric by then.
                              Another big reason for my swap to the Connie 14 was 2 up comfort for long hauls. We liked the FZ1 for two up rides but love the Connie and our comfort range has doubled. Often we take the bike now on the longer rides (200 or more miles traveled in a day) instead of the car. We tried out an FJR and ST1300 but the Connie was our favorite for 2 up. It also was my personal favorite for riding.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Another big reason for my swap to the Connie 14 was 2 up comfort for long hauls. We liked the FZ1 for two up rides but love the Connie and our comfort range has doubled. Often we take the bike now on the longer rides (200 or more miles traveled in a day) instead of the car. We tried out an FJR and ST1300 but the Connie was our favorite for 2 up. It also was my personal favorite for riding.
                                Yep...the only thing your bike does better than mine is two up riding. My cousin has a 2008 connie since new and when he was here a couple of years ago him and his wife rode my 80 750e (With back rest) to Banff and back (1400 miles) and his wife said she was more comfortable on the back of the 750 than she has ever beeen on the connie.
                                My cousin also commented that he hates the way the connie feels when he has a passenger on it. He says it becomes just too heavy and does not give him a lot of confidence. He's been riding for 50 years too. Not bashing the Connie Jedz but you have not rode it that long yet and lets not forget that when you got the B-King it too was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X