No announcement yet.

Best all in one bike or too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a fun discussion. Weight is actually a positive factor for the big GS. Sure, it's not an XR200, but at 525 pounds fully tanked up, it's not heavy. I rode the 1150 version and loved it, but just couldn't afford it at the time. I mentioned in another thread that a good friend of mine bought a C-14 and had it only a year before trading it in on a GL1800; funny thing? He said the C-14 was the only bike he had owned that he couldn't fall in love with. His wife adores the Goldwing. I've not ridden the monstro-wing, but it is supposedly very lovable.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
      We we're behind a K1600 last Sunday. The six hole exhaust layout was something I hadn't seen before. The driver and passenger were having a great time bee bopping about to some music that they were clearly sharing.

My wife leaned forward on the FZ1 and said "What bike is that, Boy that looks comfortable". She said the same thing when we came up on a fast moving FJR. I told her the FJR was a possibility but a bike the size of the K1600 was at least 10 years in our future. Elon Musk will have something big, fast, two wheeled, and electric by then.
      An electric the size of the K1600 and it would probably crush the gas six engine too. I'd be in too.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        This is a fun discussion. Weight is actually a positive factor for the big GS. Sure, it's not an XR200, but at 525 pounds fully tanked up, it's not heavy. I rode the 1150 version and loved it, but just couldn't afford it at the time. I mentioned in another thread that a good friend of mine bought a C-14 and had it only a year before trading it in on a GL1800; funny thing? He said the C-14 was the only bike he had owned that he couldn't fall in love with. His wife adores the Goldwing. I've not ridden the monstro-wing, but it is supposedly very lovable.
        The current GW is basically from 2001. Honda may very well build a bike to rival the K1600 in the next gen GW. Will still probably weigh way more than the K1600 though. And both will certainly cost two big ole bags of money.

A 2010 Concours is a pretty good all-round type bike. But the early K1200r is starting to look pretty good as they are going for about $6k with the ESA and ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Yep...the only thing your bike does better than mine is two up riding. My cousin has a 2008 connie since new and when he was here a couple of years ago him and his wife rode my 80 750e (With back rest) to Banff and back (1400 miles) and his wife said she was more comfortable on the back of the 750 than she has ever beeen on the connie.
          My cousin also commented that he hates the way the connie feels when he has a passenger on it. He says it becomes just too heavy and does not give him a lot of confidence. He's been riding for 50 years too. Not bashing the Connie Jedz but you have not rode it that long yet and lets not forget that when you got the B-King it too was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
          Oh no I don't think your bashing, all valid points, we should put all factors from all sorts of experience on the table. What might work for some won't work for others. Or what you think will work, ends up not working. I don't really notice too much of a difference with my G/F on the back, might be she only weighs 100lbs soaking wet and barely breaks 5'3". Larger pillion might make that difference, I can't say yea or nea for I've only ridden 2 up with my GF. Also I Personally don't have 50 years of experience for I'm only 31 years old. I work out and try to stay healthy with riding a big bike in mind. Not saying your friend isn't healthy or a good rider (Not saying that at all) but the MSF pounded the fact into us the older you are the harder a bike is to keep stable, especially if it's a larger machine riding 2 up. Maybe a smaller bike like your K would benefit them better as a riding couple. All factors that the rider needs to decide what is and not so important in their machine.

True on my end that I wanted that B-King for awhile, saved hard and bought it outright cash. I was excited about it (overly too, sorry guys ) But with over 7K miles on it I can confidently say the B-King was a very poor choice on my end. It scored poorly (IMO) in these critical things; two up, solo long distance, daily use, no storage, poor aftermarket for storage, small fuel tank/small range and it had no real utility in it. At the time I wanted to upgrade from 1000cc standard to a bigger faster standard, which I did but came to realize what I NEEDED was a new type of bike; a full on sport tourer, not a standard rig. I played the ignorance card on the bike for a good month or so for I just bought the thing and convinced my self it was "da bomb". Then logic took over(and after a tough 3K miles ride) and I moved on. Bigger touring friendly bikes make sense if your like me and average 15-20K miles a year, riding 2 up often.

I'm about 200 miles shy on the 2K mile mark with the Connie 14 which isn't bad for I bought the bike 3 weeks ago. Compare that to some people that do 2K miles in an entire season. I also completed an 8 hour bonding course hosted by the MSF with the bike and I'm now very confident on this bike. With that, I would like to think my opinions hold some validity... I can confidently say there is some disadvantages to a bike this size, one being the low speed maneuverability (Riding courses will greatly increase your skills set) and there's no "crazed" acceleration like on +liter bikes like the BK or your K bike. A sacrifice I took for gains in other areas. The only real advantage I can share is my seat time has increased exponentially with the Connie. My ride frequency has gone from a few times a week to every day, rain or shine. 2 up (IMO) is the best for any bike I've owned in my past. Gadgets and technology is abundant for the low sticker cost. Wind protection is good, adjustable screen is awesome although the stock screen is a little too small IMO. Do I love the bike? Yes I do, it makes me crack a smile every time I ride it. It's fast, smooth and nimble for its size and the 1352cc engine is a brute, Generates more torque then my BK so it get up and goes regardless of load. True it's not a speeding sub 10 second 1/4 mile land missile but it's practical, comfortable and I find my self wanting to ride it more frequently for longer distances then the BK. Perk too is that my SO and I picked the bike out together so we both really enjoy it and enjoy the time together on it...

I personally looked at a Wing, I entertained it for sure. I never test rode one but had my SO come with me and see if a full on touring bike would be a suitable match for us. Honestly it wasn't. We don't have kids, were young and the Wing really didn't emanate that "youth" feel when we looked at it and sat on it. We really wanted a sporty bike that had a good degree of long distance comfort. So we passed on the wing. However like Pilot stated allot of people love their wings and won't trade them in for nothing. So don't weigh that one out either.

Ecklund the greatest advice I can give is go out and ride these bikes. Sit on them see whats going to work for you or not. You really need to ride a bike before you make the decision to keep it on the maybe list or nix it. If your close I'd offer you to take the Connie 14 for a ride. You can't tell if it's the one or not without some saddle time. Who knows maybe you'll sit on a wing and tell us all how awesome it is .
          Last edited by Jedz123; 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Oh no I don't think your bashing, all valid points, we should put all factors from all sorts of experience on the table. What might work for some won't work for others. Or what you think will work, ends up not working. I don't really notice too much of a difference with my G/F on the back, might be she only weighs 100lbs soaking wet and barely breaks 5'3". Larger pillion might make that difference, I can't say yea or nea for I've only ridden 2 up with my GF. Also I Personally don't have 50 years of experience for I'm only 31 years old. I work out and try to stay healthy with riding a big bike in mind. Not saying your friend isn't healthy or a good rider (Not saying that at all) but the MSF pounded the fact into us the older you are the harder a bike is to keep stable, especially if it's a larger machine riding 2 up. Maybe a smaller bike like your K would benefit them better as a riding couple. All factors that the rider needs to decide what is and not so important in their machine.

True on my end that I wanted that B-King for awhile, saved hard and bought it outright cash. I was excited about it (overly too, sorry guys ) But with over 7K miles on it I can confidently say the B-King was a very poor choice on my end. It scored poorly (IMO) in these critical things; two up, solo long distance, daily use, no storage, poor aftermarket for storage, small fuel tank/small range and it had no real utility in it. At the time I wanted to upgrade from 1000cc standard to a bigger faster standard, which I did but came to realize what I NEEDED was a new type of bike; a full on sport tourer, not a standard rig. I played the ignorance card on the bike for a good month or so for I just bought the thing and convinced my self it was "da bomb". Then logic took over(and after a tough 3K miles ride) and I moved on. Bigger touring friendly bikes make sense if your like me and average 15-20K miles a year, riding 2 up often.

I'm about 200 miles shy on the 2K mile mark with the Connie 14 which isn't bad for I bought the bike 3 weeks ago. Compare that to some people that do 2K miles in an entire season. I also completed an 8 hour bonding course hosted by the MSF with the bike and I'm now very confident on this bike. With that, I would like to think my opinions hold some validity... I can confidently say there is some disadvantages to a bike this size, one being the low speed maneuverability (Riding courses will greatly increase your skills set) and there's no "crazed" acceleration like on +liter bikes like the BK or your K bike. A sacrifice I took for gains in other areas. The only real advantage I can share is my seat time has increased exponentially with the Connie. My ride frequency has gone from a few times a week to every day, rain or shine. 2 up (IMO) is the best for any bike I've owned in my past. Gadgets and technology is abundant for the low sticker cost. Wind protection is good, adjustable screen is awesome although the stock screen is a little too small IMO. Do I love the bike? Yes I do, it makes me crack a smile every time I ride it. It's fast, smooth and nimble for its size and the 1352cc engine is a brute, Generates more torque then my BK so it get up and goes regardless of load. True it's not a speeding sub 10 second 1/4 mile land missile but it's practical, comfortable and I find my self wanting to ride it more frequently for longer distances then the BK. Perk too is that my SO and I picked the bike out together so we both really enjoy it and enjoy the time together on it...

I personally looked at a Wing, I entertained it for sure. I never test rode one but had my SO come with me and see if a full on touring bike would be a suitable match for us. Honestly it wasn't. We don't have kids, were young and the Wing really didn't emanate that "youth" feel when we looked at it and sat on it. We really wanted a sporty bike that had a good degree of long distance comfort. So we passed on the wing. However like Pilot stated allot of people love their wings and won't trade them in for nothing. So don't weigh that one out either.

Ecklund the greatest advice I can give is go out and ride these bikes. Sit on them see whats going to work for you or not. You really need to ride a bike before you make the decision to keep it on the maybe list or nix it. If your close I'd offer you to take the Connie 14 for a ride. You can't tell if it's the one or not without some saddle time. Who knows maybe you'll sit on a wing and tell us all how awesome it is .
            Excellent advice.

Your experience and honest evaluation are very valuable.

One of the interesting things about bikes is that they are so varied and reflect the different engineering and cost goals.

I admit gaming the various bikes and price points is some fun in its own right.

While the current mission is ending and I'll likely get to be home for a while, I am forced to live somewhat vicariously when it comes to motorcycles.

Having a sport bike level engine in a bike with a standard riding position is something that appeals to me. Weight and price are both important characteristics that impact all bikes.

The K1600 with its motor, seating position, smoothness and capability looks to be at or near the top. But of course its pricey. The older K1200r has a lot of the same characteristics but at about a third of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              If it is going to be BMW, and "all-rounder" is truly the operating theme, nothing touches the R1200/1250GS models.
              Man, that water-cooled GS at a buck 25 HP is where my ZRX was at with a pipe and tuning.

They also make a GS1000 that may or may not be as smooth as the big twin.

Both have good riding positions, good motors and property to handle very well. Still way more money than an R1200...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post

You sold the King? You're welcome to join my support group for ex-BK owners when your seller's remorse sets in.... and it will.

That being said, new bikes are always fun so congrats!
                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                  You sold the King? You're welcome to join my support group for ex-BK owners when your seller's remorse sets in.... and it will.

That B-king motor is certainly a draw. Never rode one but owned an XX and miss the power.

A 'standard' class bike with a GT class motor would be a good start. I guess the factories can't be blamed for not building it as the K1200 is close and never really caught on. And even though its not in the same class of power as the B-king, the CB1100 standard didn't sell well either.

The BMW R1200R is probably closest but its a bag of money too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post

Yeah I did Dave... It wasn't too good for practical stuff. I'll own another one day, that or Hayabusa. The nest egg is in the works and the money will slowly pIle up. Good thing is they pop up for cheap occasionaly so when one comes up I'll may nab it if the funds are there. It was a fun bike.

Thanks for letting me know I can hold your hand when I need to....
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Nice!!

The Magazine All About Mc Built on a k 1600 gt and baptized of creation to hp6. delicious construction we think! What do you think? More information can be found on the construction site in their latest number.

No signature

Comment

What is that!?!
                        What do I think? That I'm going to have to get over the fact that one day I'll likely end up owning a BMW.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

How about this?
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Nice!!

The Magazine All About Mc Built on a k 1600 gt and baptized of creation to hp6. delicious construction we think! What do you think? More information can be found on the construction site in their latest number.

Been toying with the idea of starting my own contracting firm. This is a good reaso to get moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                              That B-king motor is certainly a draw. Never rode one but owned an XX and miss the power.

A 'standard' class bike with a GT class motor would be a good start. I guess the factories can't be blamed for not building it as the K1200 is close and never really caught on. And even though its not in the same class of power as the B-king, the CB1100 standard didn't sell well either.

The BMW R1200R is probably closest but its a bag of money too.
                              A few years back I went shopping for a new standard.
                              The R1200R was too pricey & the CB1100 wasn’t out yet.
                              Got a Triumph Bonneville — with several different models & lots of parts, you can turn it into what you want.

Will likely get a new bike in the next two years. (Retirement gift to self.)
                              Am thinking about a R1200R or possibly a Griso.
                              But I must be getting old — just read a review of the 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado & its looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                                A few years back I went shopping for a new standard.
                                The R1200R was too pricey & the CB1100 wasn’t out yet.
                                Got a Triumph Bonneville — with several different models & lots of parts, you can turn it into what you want.

Will likely get a new bike in the next two years. (Retirement gift to self.)
                                Am thinking about a R1200R or possibly a Griso.
                                But I must be getting old — just read a review of the 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado & its looks interesting.
                                I'm tellin you...

I hate it when I actually look at something they have clearly targeted at me.

And I know there is something to the argument that these retro type bikes are over-priced poser bikes. I don't care, I like em.

Good riding positions, reliable, durable, nicely built. Many are air cooled and have fairly good power. Some even have wire spoke wheels.

That Triumph twin looks like it would be great fun to ride. I had a '69 BSA Thunderbolt in the early 80s. From what I can see the contemporary Triumphs have updated everything that the old twins needed and retained much of the spirit of the bikes.

The BMW and Guzzi twins seem like great bikes that is many ways represent the essence of motorcycling. They represent what the Harley FXR might have been had Harley continued its development past the mid 90s.

And yes, we are definitely getting old. But that just means we might actually buy a new/er bike we really like.

Comment

Working...
                                X