Can these carbs be salvaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can these carbs be salvaged?

My sons and I bought a pretty decent 1978 GS550 last month. The bike ran and stopped, but had a rough-ish idle that would hang and hunt. Its my sons' first bike, and my third. Although I am not extremely mechanically-inclined, I think I bought this bike as much as for a tinkering hobby as I did to ride it. Although this is my first post, this site has been an amazing resource.

So far, we are having a blast going through the process of going through the basic maintenance steps. Even though the prior owner claimed to have done x,y, and z to to the bike while he had it, it quickly became obvious that most basic maintenance has been severely neglected for a long time. Working from the airbox, forward, we cleaned out the stock airbox, sourced an OEM filter, got some fresher-er rubber boots (airbox to carbs - I guess you cannot buy OEM anymore) and clamps. We got new intake boots/pipes (carb to manifold), new o-rings and hex screws from cycleorings.com, etc. We also began the process of checking valve clearance, but are waiting on some shims (ordered) to finish the job properly.

BUT... when we got into the carbs, we hit a roadblock. We started disassembly, and before we even started the cleaning process, we noted two areas of concern.

ISSUE #1: On #3, the overflow valve/tubes (pressed into the bottom of the float bowl) looks to be broken off right at the bottom of the inside of the float bowl. The PO had clogged the hole with some JBWeld??? or something similar.

ISSUE #2: On #4, the choke tube(starter jet) has been broken off at the base of the main carburetor body.

These do not look like easy issues to fix. Not only are the prior pieces stuck in the float bowl or carburetor body, it does not look like I can buy new replacements even if we could get them out. Should I frankenstein two bad components (ie take the good float bowl from #4 and pair it with #3 carburetor body (leaving #4 with a broken choke tube and overflow valve/tube)? If we do this, we could look for a full replacement for #4, but I am struggling to find one for sale... Maybe I am in over my head. Normal cleaning, and even re-jetting would have been fine... I am just not quite ready to drill out these little brass pieces or fab up some Macgyver-ish solution. Without trying to buy a whole new carb set, are there any other solutions that you guys have seen? I searched past posts, but did not quite find anything on-point. Any help/guidance is much appreciated!

Send a message to chef1366, he might have the parts you need.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some pictures would also be of great value to see whats going on.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ok. Here are two pics. Each shows the offending part next to a "normal" component.

Comment

I have a bunch of those VM 22 carburetors from 550s. Send me a PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PM sent. Thanks!

Comment

The enrichment pick up tube can be replaced with tubing from a hobby shop such as hobby lobby. They use it on model boats mostly. Take a pick and dig the end out of the carb body and measure then existing ones OD. Find the right length and put it in the body. The little end cap withn the tiny hole isnt a deal breaker as there are bleeder holes at the top of the tube..some micro drill bits from harbor freight makes the holes for you.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X