1982 gs1100gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100gk

I have just bought a 82 GS1100GK, and I want to pull the frame mounted fairing, replace it with a headlight bucket/turn signal etc, and use a handle bar mounted windshield , such as a national cycle 2
    The forks on this bike are 41 MM, will the headlight bucket "ears" off a standard 1100g fit these forks, I can not find a fork spec diameter anywhere for a standard 1100g
    it only has 53,000k and is good shape except for the charging system , which has a faulty voltage regulator

thanks Robert

Welcome to the site. You can find the fork tube diameter for them here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._diameters.pdf as well as many other sorts of good information for your bike on Basscliff's main site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

37m

and the G forks are spaced closer together than on a GK.

I recall folks having difficulty finding mounting ears and headlight bucket to fit a GK after removing the fairing.
      Stuff from a G will not fit due to the different size fork tubed and spacing, they say.
      I have not tried that myself.
      Did not know about this until I tried to swap a G fender onto the GK .....

Welcome to GSR.

ANy pics?

Where, in general, are you located ?

Last edited by Redman; 08-10-2015, 09:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The stock G forks are 38mm, I got a set of 41 mm ears from Emgo for $35 us , a set of turn signals as well as ahead light assembly from a Yamaha , it is bigger than the stock GS head light
        I have replaced the fork springs with progressive and 10w oil it really rails through the corners now with out the 44lb fairing and brackets
        I have owned numerous GS over the years, my 1979 gs 850 new at $2900 is still my favourite
        I paid $3000 cdn for it with 53000k and the previous owner spent a lot on it
        Still a bit buzzy...carb sync and valves next DSCF8925.jpg

Comment

I forgot to answer your last question
          I am in Aldergrove BC, east of Vancouver
          I also have a 79 xs1100 with a wiesco big bore kit, 71 Norton Commando totally new from the crank out, 78 GS1000e big bore kit, 06 ST1300 180,000 k , just sold my 09 1000 Vstrom my wife and I took to Europe last year for 3 months

Comment

That's better. Welcome!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by sixpack View Post
              The stock G forks are ...

The stock G forks are 37mm, not 38 -- can you correct your post so no one gets confused in the future?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

oops very sorry about that, they are 37 mm

I discovered that after I visited Basscliff's site
                Still searching for a "G" seat from a 82-84 1100G

Comment

Nice job on the headlight.

The entire bike is great. Look at those pipes.

Originally posted by sixpack View Post
                  Still searching for a "G" seat from a 82-84 1100G
                  And when you do find one, keep in mind that the GK seat is much much harder to find. Especially one as nice looking as yours.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I really like the looks of this, and it's making me think about my GK and what I might do when the weather warms up. For now though, I'm really enjoying the protection from the cold wind.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                    X