Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert a GS850GL to GS850G?

Hi everyone. Newbie here.

Considering buying a 1983 GS850GL. Excellent condition, all original and perfect (to me!) at great price, shaft drive, everything I'm looking for - except that it's an "L" model with the longer more swept back handlebars, smaller tear-drop tank and the shorter hi/lo seat. I much prefer the standard G look and figure it wouldn't be too difficult to find and swap out the handlebars and larger more squared gas tank. Will also have to find G side panels which go straight accross at the top under the seat while the L panels angle back/down

Problem: I want the flatter/longer seat with rear cowling. Assuming I can find an assembly in good condition can it be swapped out without fabrication? In other words, is the sub-frame for the seat assembly the same on the two models?

Anyone have insights on the differences between the two versions?

Thank you in advance.

Here's the L:

And here's the standard G:
    Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I just found the other thread on this. Does NOT look as simple as I'd originally thought. Going to leave this here in case anyone else stumbles along asking the same question:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_WA View Post
        Hi everyone. Newbie here.

Considering buying a 1983 GS850GL. Excellent condition, all original and perfect (to me!) at great price, shaft drive, everything I'm looking for - except that it's an "L" model with the longer more swept back handlebars, smaller tear-drop tank and the shorter hi/lo seat. I much prefer the standard G look and figure it wouldn't be too difficult to find and swap out the handlebars and larger more squared gas tank. Will also have to find G side panels which go straight accross at the top under the seat while the L panels angle back/down

Problem: I want the flatter/longer seat with rear cowling. Assuming I can find an assembly in good condition can it be swapped out without fabrication? In other words, is the sub-frame for the seat assembly the same on the two models?

Anyone have insights on the differences between the two versions?

Thank you in advance.
        I really don't under it but some people convert them with mods but I say just sell and get yourself a G instead, it's the easier and I believe smarter way to go. The biggest issue is the tank and I don't think that has ever been figured out as they are not universal and do not swap

Comment

Oh, and by the way the 83' G has a little too much "L' in the seat for my liking. Consider a 79-81 with the non-stepped seat

Comment

Most of the "L" is taken out by replacing the handlebars and installing a shorter clutch cable. There is a member here who fitted a G gas tank to his bike. It required some fabrication, if I recall. The seat can be reworked by an experienced upholsterer. Not much to be done for the side covers, I'm afraid.

My opinion: The GL is a fine bike once you bin the stock handlebars. But if it's a G you want, buy a G. They're not quite as common as L models but are not that hard to find if you're actively looking.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks guys. I took a pass on the L and am actively looking for a G. Found one in Iowa that I like but yeah, that's 2000 miles away.

Comment

Working...
              X