Door panel plastic type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door panel plastic type?

I'm attempting a repair on my daughter's 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant interior door panel. One of her friends tried to fix it with some unknown caulk/goo which did not stick well. I have it cleaned off and used acetone to clean the residue. The acetone did not significantly soften the door panel, so I don't think it is ABS. The panel has a "Y" shaped split about 9" into the bottom corner. I would attempt JB Weld, but if someone here knows a better product I would like to know. The panel is soft plastic, in that I used a wire brush to help get the previous repair material off and the brush leaves marks in the plastic. Any thoughts?

It may be easier and cheaper to purchase a replacement part from a junk yard. If you do want to try and repair it, these guys sell repair material for
    automotive plastics http://www.urethanesupply.com/

Comment

My honda's door panel cracked, I used a little fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Has held strong for 3 years plus.

Comment

Good deal, thank you both!

Comment

Probably Kydex

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Most plastics are marked with 3 or 4 letters. HDPE, high density polyethylene, ABS and so on. If you can find the markings crosreference them to the net. Some plastics glue well and others defy all glues, and can be bonded with heat. Good luck with it.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
            X