I'm back! '82 GS1100E, champagne silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    I read another thread on here last week where the consensus was in favor of the sonic springs over the progressives. Just something to consider before placing your order. Check it out.
    If you have a link to share I'll certainly check out the discussion, but I've gone back and forth to some extent on this and spoken to vendors of each kind, of course they each have reasons why their type is preferable.

I do know that I'll end up with a progressive spring on the rear shock, so at a certain point that seemed like a tick in favor of progressive fork springs, in terms of matching the front and rear.

I could go on but truth is I probably won't notice the difference with any set up... If I replace the fork springs and shocks basically I will win. My biggest question right now is how much to spend on shock, with options ranging from maybe around 100 for the cheap to 400 for ikon, there are more expensive options but ikon is my limit... We'll see.

. I'm still annoyed by the extra $40 for tubes since these rims aren't tubeless. But..

Kay Sarah Sarah...
    Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not smart enough to provide a link but it was in the section of Tires/Suspension/Brakes. Started by LarryJ see post #5 and #6.

Agreed, any new replacement should be better than the originals. I will be doing the same to both of my bikes over the winter.

And by the way, that is an awesome bike you are working on. I want one of those some day.

Larry
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        Sorry, I'm not smart enough to provide a link but it was in the section of Tires/Suspension/Brakes. Started by LarryJ see post #5 and #6.

Agreed, any new replacement should be better than the originals. I will be doing the same to both of my bikes over the winter.

And by the way, that is an awesome bike you are working on. I want one of those some day.

Larry
        Here's a link to Sonic's site http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ ,Rich Desmond is the owner and a GSR member.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          Here's a link to Sonic's site http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ ,Rich Desmond is the owner and a GSR member.
          That's who I will buy from. Excited to see the difference new springs will make. I remember the first time I had steering stem bearing replaced, I could not believe the difference that made.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

So, I'm digging around in the attic for Christmas lights, and what do I find? A Wes Cooley fairing for the 8" headlight, painted ( not perfectly) in Champagne silver. It has no mounts that I see. Any interest?

That is an early production date GS, the issues with tubes are to be expected.

gs fairing.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn View Post
              So, I'm digging around in the attic for Christmas lights, and what do I find? A Wes Cooley fairing for the 8" headlight, painted ( not perfectly) in Champagne silver. It has no mounts that I see. Any interest?

That is an early production date GS, the issues with tubes are to be expected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43064[/ATTACH]

so disappointed in myself for not responding to you promptly. very sad i missed out on this and i'll be kicking myself for a while.

re: wheels, i did switch to tubeless - i had to drill out a little bit of the rim to make a good seat for the valve stem to seal up against, i have some photos buried somewhere that i'll try to dig out eventually. looking forward to doing some more work on the bike this season as i continue to ride it.

Comment

Very cool the tubeless worked out for you. Please keep me posted as to what is going on. I am interested in what direction you take this. I had 2nd thoughts about cutting up an original bike, that is what stopped me. For you, it does not have the history it did to me, have fun making it the way you want.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey, It's time for an update on this

Comment

update: still sad I missed the Cooley fairing.

bike is running rough, a bit of surge feeling and there's a spot somewhere in the throttle that doesn't seem to "catch" i.e. more throttle doesn't raise rpm.

I'm not sure where to look first, if anyone has advice is welcome. otherwise I'll just start pulling things apart and wasting off haphazardly

also, that condition is recent and I haven't changed anything on the bike. it did sit for a few months though, so I'll probably start at the carbs...
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

bike seat?

20170630_165513.jpg

Comment

Comment

what's it all about then, Alfie?

Comment

That's a great shot in the garage

Ok, the plugs and boots look old, and you bite your nails

Probably time for wires & plugs, but that ethanol gas is tough on old stuff. A little tough to tell from the pic. I hope you have been putting Sta-Bil in it.

Yes, I am sorry you did not get the fairing also. It looked good ( but gave a head shake, ( after it ran out of speedometer) not so good, that's why it came off and was forgotten about ).

Those carbs got new float seals ( needle valves ) and gaskets several months before you got her, I would hope they are still okay.

Comment

Working...
                            X