82 GS1100GL Resistance Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GL Resistance Problem

Motorcycle does fine in 1st through 3rd but when I hit 4th and 5th at around 60 MPH, there is resistance to speeding-up. Got up to 75 and then the motorcycle started slowing back down. Only other thing I have noticed is that number three plug is black while the others seem fine (all plugs are new). Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Running out of gas? I think a bit more detail is needed. How has the bike been running up till now?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

No, has fuel. No major issues except using more fuel than in the past. Sometimes a little backfire. It's just when you open the throttle in 4th and 5th, it seems it is working against something to speed-up. I was on the highway doing 75 and then it started slowing down back to about 60 and then fine. When I have adjusted the fuel/air screw on carb three to lean it out, it appears to do nothing--not even affecting the idle.

Comment

Sounds like it's time to clean out the carbs and remove the (possibly) broken tip of the mixture screw.

One more item: are you sure it's #3? Carb 1 is under your clutch hand, carb 4 is under your throttle hand.
        Many times, new guys get them numbered backwards.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It could be a number of things starting from clogged air filter to carbs needing a rebuild. What maintenance have you done on the bike? And Steve's right, if you're adjusting the mixture screw and it's not effecting the idle it does make you think there's an issue in the carbs, but start with ruling out the easy things first.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Sounds like it's time to clean out the carbs and remove the (possibly) broken tip of the mixture screw.

One more item: are you sure it's #3? Carb 1 is under your clutch hand, carb 4 is under your throttle hand.
            Many times, new guys get them numbered backwards.

Definitely #3--throttle side. Will check out the mixture screw as you suggest. Do you think that would explain why only #3 sparkplug is black while the others are tan colored?

Comment

if it is #2....not #3 then i would remove the vacuum hose and see if fuel is running out of it.
              if so then the fuel valve is bad and fouling that plug/letting in huge amount's of gas into that cylinder.
              i ass/u/me these shaft bikes feed the vacuum the same as a chain driven model.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                It could be a number of things starting from clogged air filter to carbs needing a rebuild. What maintenance have you done on the bike? And Steve's right, if you're adjusting the mixture screw and it's not effecting the idle it does make you think there's an issue in the carbs, but start with ruling out the easy things first.
                Air filter has been cleaned recently. Carbs rebuilt maybe two years ago but could need futher work as bike is not ridden year round.

Comment

It is #3 not #2. The petcock was replaced in 2011 but that does mean it is still good. However, no leaking of fuel.

Comment

to much fuel.
                    to low of compression.
                    no/weak spark but this happens normally in pairs.
                    checking the compression when hot and plugs out and throttle wide open(strong battery) may show you something in the bad hole.

Comment

When you say this happens in pairs would it normally be like 2 & 3 or 1 & 4?

Comment

Have you checked the spark on all 4 cylinders? carbs that are 'properly' cleaned should last for years. Possibly it's a spark issue.
                        Rob

Comment

Plan on running some electrical tests in the morning, on plugs and coils. Valve shim clearances were recently updated as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cmcristo View Post
                            When you say this happens in pairs would it normally be like 2 & 3 or 1 & 4?
                            you are correct...
                            you have a single hole issue..IMO check for any issue's with that hole.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              you are correct...
                              you have a single hole issue..IMO check for any issue's with that hole.
                              Will do, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X