Pilot Screw CAPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Screw CAPS

Anybody know where I can get new ones or know what I can put in the hole after I am done setting up the carbs?

silicone works,

Comment

Why bother putting anything in there?

While silicone works to cover the hole, it really makes things nasty if you ever have to make an adjustment to the screw or remove it.

Some "rebuild" kits have the caps included, I have always pitched them in the trash.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I too, wonder if anything should be there to "protect" the screw threads, because road grime, bugs, saltwater from the roads etc will certainly find it's way there. but SILICONE to me = bad ugliness after uniting with the zinc/aluminum of the carb body.
        I've actually considered small rubber plugs of some sort..???

Comment

Never gave it much thought, but the screws do seem to get stuck on neglected bikes, maybe with the help of the aforementioned road grime.... I put a dot of anti sieze on the threads on mine before reinstalling after hearing a lot of horror stories of stuck screws. Maybe a rubber plug is a good idea.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Wonder if pencil erasers would fit snug enough ???...easy to remove them too. Just a small nail and some super glue. Dab of glue..stick to eraser..pull out.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The only possible reason I can think of for replacing these caps or plugging the hole in any way is if you have some sort of super-zealous emissions inspection to get through.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Maybe a rubber plug is a good idea.
                Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Wonder if pencil erasers would fit snug enough ?
                Now that you mention it, I seem to remember somebody used the rubber plug for the pilot jets in the bowls to cover the screw openings.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it is beneficial to put something in here to keep the grime out. Considering putting metalic tape over the hole.

Comment

just order the correct caps, they're pretty cheap

Comment

I tried fitting "HONDA" pilot jet rubber plugs and they are too small. so the "SUZUKI" ones should be an exact fit. I remember trying the Honda ones in my carb pilots and the same result.. too small.
                      I probably won't have the bike much longer, and think they should be protected from the elements here in PA, but the replaceable stock ones are too much bother.

Comment

Working...
                      X