1981 gs550 runs rough in the rain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs550 runs rough in the rain.

First off I'm a complete newb. Hence the username. So please be gentle.

The 550 that I'm using runs rarely well when it's dry. However when it begins to rain while I'm riding or has been raining and the bike is wet the bike doesn't want to start (will crank but won't turn on) or if I'm already riding it idles rough at stop signs and such..

Im assuming it's something electrical. Not for sure what it could be though. I have noticed that the end of two of the spark plug caps where they connect to the spark plug wire have slight cracks in them. However I just changed the spark plugs and put a bunch of dielectric grease on the plugs and inside the caps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dis assemble the caps I bet they are corroded internally

had the same thing happen to me

replacements for all four may be around 20-30 dollars.

Comment

Sounds like leakage of sparks from the leads or caps. Running it in the dark when wet could show up exactly where it's happening. WD-40 was designed for this. Cracked leads or caps is asking for it as is dirt on the leads as it hangs on to moisture.
      Grease inside the caps I would have thought is overkill. It's an insulator. Normally the leads should have sleeves on them that slide up over the caps to take care of the water on the outside.

Welcome to the Forum and in case you haven't yet found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      Last edited by Brendan W; 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll look into new caps and see how it does.

Comment

What are you doing in the rain? First drop that his you is an act of god, the second one is your own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by whatparthurts View Post
            What are you doing in the rain? First drop that his you is an act of god, the second one is your own fault.
            What's wrong with riding in the rain? These bikes run great in torrential downpours and while crossing "streams" of water blocked from the storm drains
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Don't be such a wuss. Riding in the rain with proper rain gear is even enjoyable, fewer bikes to contend with. Plus the bike seems to run better in rainy conditions, ie. cleaner air.

Also to the original poster, welcome to the site and yes, check out those caps. They are replaceable.
              Last edited by alke46; 09-28-2015, 05:30 AM.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

For real dude?
                What a weenie.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

> "Riding in the rain with proper rain gear is even enjoyable"

I admit it. I did it. I'll probably continue to do it. There's no hope. I'm deplorable. I ride in the rain without proper rain gear.

Nobody ever told me what is proper rain gear! How was I supposed to know? Was it in the DMV booklet and I just don't remember? That could be it.

But is it expensive? I'm not going to run down to the tire shop and put new tires on just because there's no tread. I got talked into that one time by somebody who said my tires were "dangerous" . . . ended up spending over $100!

Back on topic . . . proper rain gear. For me, proper rain gear is a windshield, either a stand-alone windshield or as part of a fairing. Maybe around town no more than 30 MPH I think I could live without a windshield in the rain, but eventually I'll reach the city limits and what are you gonna do without a windshield? Turn around and go back into town, the only choice. Town can be fun, especially racing those Chinese scooters. I always win.

For rainy day riding you've got to have a windshield. It's proper.

Comment

I ride in the rain at least once a week, if not more. It comes with the territory in Florida.

Comment

Working...
                    X